On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:29:06PM -0500, Dylan Thurston wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:27:30AM -0800, David Roundy wrote:
> > > I wonder if instead we should be using tmpfile().
> >
> > tmpfile() would be nice, but the file is deleted automatically when the
> > handle is closed (perhaps deleted before the handle is returned?), so we
> > can't use it when we want a filename that we can pass to emacs.
>
> The standard solution is to use mkdtemp to create a dirctory (with mode
> 0700) and then create a file in that directory with your choice of
> name.  mkdtemp is not in POSIX currently, but it seems like it will be
> added soon.

The Secure Programs HOWTO link does mention mkdtemp.  They only mention
that tmp cleaners can cause a security issue with mkdtemp, as Thomas
brought up last week.  I feel like tmp cleaners could cause other issues
in general, but maybe if people are using them we still need to worry?

--
Zachary P. Landau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0xC9F82052 | http://divineinvasion.net/kapheine.asc