> You're trying to use a Cygwin version of ssh together with a Windows
> binary of Darcs.

I use darcs on cygwin every day.  You have to follow the instructions on the
wiki [1] to install a Windows binary of ssh and then it works fine.

[1]
http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/CategoryBinaries#head-3b8fd3f7da72746a5076ef5fced061003666d601

Hm.  Could it be that the instructions were ambiguous about whether the steps
labelled "To enable access of remote repositories over ssh"?  I'll fix that.

> Folks, use Unix if you can.  Use Windows if you must.  But do yourself
> a favour -- don't install Cygwin.
>
> (And if you do, don't send us ``bug reports''.)

Is this really an acceptable policy for darcs?  "Cygwin users not welcome?"

I personally have contributed some of my time to make darcs easier to install
and use on Cygwin (and, at the same time, on non-cygwin win32).  I have not
hacked on darcs internals, but have done things like updated the Wiki pages
and fixed up the darcs cygwin wrapper script.

Now to the off-topic stuff:

> The 1980s are long gone, and we've known for fifteen years now that
> hybrid systems just don't work.  Users forget they're really running
> two systems side by side, and get confused when things don't play nice
> together.

I think what we learned is that the less powerful proprietary-software company
would cave in to the more powerful proprietary-software company and leave its
users high and dry.  Thankfully users of Free Software don't have to worry
about this kind of thing, and can happily go ahead and use tools made by
different authors even if the authors of some of the tools are antagonistic
toward the use of other tools.

Regards,

Zooko