> I'm definitely not trying to say that there is no value in having a
> more strict release schedule, but I myself do not see a big need.  Perhaps
> you could explain why it would be helpful?  In more specific terms than just
> saying we could plan around releases.

Specifically what I was thinking about was that if darcs followed such a
release policy -- or, really, almost any other policy that was specific and
public -- then I would feel more comfortable installing darcs as a
technological requirement for my clients and co-workers.

It's not a big deal, but it's the kind of thing that becomes more important as
darcs's user base becomes broader -- early adopters like us are happy to try
out whatever the darcs devels come up with, and whenever they come up with it.

But a broader class of users are unwilling to deal with as much uncertainty --
they would prefer to know, for example, that if they hit a bug in darcs 1.a.b
that they can try upgrading to darcs 1.a.b+e without having to learn about
other changes that might impact their workflow or their dependencies.

Since I mostly imagine this being a feature of use to other people (including
to my clients and co-workers) rather than for myself, I think I'll fall silent
on this issue and let other people have their say.

Regards,

Zooko