Hi Guillame

* [Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 04:51:31PM -0300] Guillaume Hoffmann:
now that `log` shows the hash of the patches, I would like to use it for selecting patches as `log (or whatever) -p` is not much handy where there are similar- or same-named patches. On the other hand, typing `--match 'hash` is boring, so I've added a `-H/--hash`[0] option that aliases to `--match 'hash ...'`.

I think it's a good idea.

I wouldn't even mind using -h (currently used as --help). Some
programs use it as a --help alias (svn, hg), others don't (git, ghc).

I'm pretty adverse to this, as '-h' for 'help' has a long tradition in the Unix world. Also, when this is not the case (git, ghc), as far as I know '-h' is not used for something different but is simply unrecognized. My idea is that it would break users expectations and violate an unwritten contract.

Then I've changed idea and instead thought that I would prefer to continue using `-p` and darcs should discriminate if I've provided a regex or a hash. So I've modified `-p` (and the related `--from-patch` and `--to-patch`) in order to consider its argument as a hash if it's 40 chars long and only composed by hex digits.

advantages:
- much shorter patch

I'm not sure I understand. You mean shorter flag?

Well, in a way the flag is shorter as you don't have to use the Shift key (my opinion is that the short options should be as fast to type as possible[0]). But what I meant here is that the number of line insertions/deletions is lower.

disadvantages:
[...]
2. lack of correctness if your regex happens to be a 40 digits long hex. In this case you would have to resort to `--match 'name ...'`
[...]
While I consider the chances for 2. pretty limited, the drawbacks seem serious: user's surprise, breakage of sw that automatically names patches using hashes, possible kittens injuries, ...

Indeed. I wonder if people out there use hashes as patch names?

I think it's unlikely, but not impossible. So after some thought, although I'm using the modified '-p' for myself and I like it, I've managed to convince myself that adding a new option is the way to go.

Ciao,
Gian Piero.

[0] So, I still don't like '-H'. I would probably use '-x', if only I could find a valid, easy to remember, rationale for it.