hi dan
this has been constant grief for me... first half of my 1 or 2 days a
fortnight of merb and datamapper ness are oft spent screwing round with
gems, so big thanks for taking an interest in it. Bundling in merb seems
to have mitigated issues a bit.

For me the recurring dreaded message is along the lines of "Can't
activate #{gem-name} A.B.C, A.B.D all ready activated".

I'm not sure what this is about, and i"ll confess i haven't pushed hard
to find out wtf is going on I normally beat things into submission,
sometime by fiddling the dependency.rb, sometimes uninstalling and
re-installing gems. - but doing so in ignorance. The difficult thing is,
that I can leave something working, when i get back to it, often days
later (possibly if i've been looking at other merb/dm apps of github),
the process starts  over.

Sorry I can't offer anything more precise at this stage - next time it
happens I'll slow down, take notes and forward the specifics.

Thanks for the time you put into DM,  I love it.
Glenn