On Monday, 27 January 2014 17:50:58 UTC+5:30, Guilhem Cassan  wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for a shapefile and GPS coordinates of centroids of India's 1991
> districts.
> Would you know by any chance where this could be obtained ?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Guilhem

If you dont find it, you could

1) Get the latest (2011 or 2001) district shapefile. This shouldnt be too
difficult to find I hope.
2) Get a list of how many districts  were added between 1991-2011. This is also
available with the census website.
3) Then simply merge the 2011 districts into their parent district to get a
1991 shapefile. The only issue will be when a district was created by
bifurcating more than one district. In this case, you may want to do some
digging using google maps and see which parts came from which original district
and then use snap tool in Qgis to  just make your own tentative boundary.
4)Centroid can be gotten using the centroid option in QGIS as well.

I had to do this in order to get a 1969 shapefile for Indian Districts. Hope
this helps

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/