Hi Sachin & Nisha,

Thanks for responding. Had tried the Crime Info programme but it seems to
be only till 2010. (It also needs a heavy duty comp to run it, my poor
desktop running on XP kept zoning out!) And with all the claims flying back
and forth regarding recent trends in juvenile crime being little more than
hearsay, I was requested to numbercrunch last 3 years.

Even with that the data can be very misleading - anyone in conflict with
the law invariably has at least 2-3 cases filed against them, only one is
reported. So if a rape leads to murder it appears as murder in NCRB.
Similarly some of the sections are inappropriate / bizarre for people under
18 years yet they are unfailingly reported. And the red herrings caused by
elopements being categorised by irate families as kidnapping and rape only
muddy things further.

*Is there no way an intervention can be made by Datameet for more
meaningful data especially as NCRB is gearing up for such a change?* It's
not like any options exist to pick and choose based on quality. This is our
only source - it shouldn't be this half-baked!

For more info :

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-gaps-galore-in-crime-bureau-data-agency-wants-time-to-do-a-better-job-1999753
http://indiatogether.org/ncrbdata-rti
http://zeenews.india.com/exclusive/time-to-reboot-crime-profiling-in-the-country_6450.html