I was looking for this data online for awhile and could not find it, so
while I was in Delhi in May, I stopped by the Census Data Dissemination
Bureau to see what I could find. I was able to get my hands on the 2001
district-level religion and language data but was told that the 2011 data
will not be distributed in the near-term (more then 2 years). The data I
was able to get was not free, and I am a graduate student, so it was
relatively expensive.... Are you interested in the 2001 district level
data? If so, we can talk about a potential trade. (I would normally give
away data, but the costs -- travel and purchase price -- and time I had to
put into getting this data forces my hand on these data.) Anyways. Let me
know what you have to trade.