Hi Friends,

Some of you whom I've put in Bcc had signed up on the Datameet Pune
interest form. While Craig is working on how to organize meetups
(found a venue, planning dates etc), I'd like to share a collaborative
task with you.

Here's something that some volunteer groups (ImproveMyCity, Pravasi
Manch, Pimpri-Chinchwad Citizens Forum) are upto. IMC is building a
website for PMPML (Pune's bus system), and we're helping PMPML put the
bus routes info in a standardized common structure that can then be
used for properly informing the public. We've had many roadblocks
previously with this process and are now much wiser off it.

There's an easy but repetitive task that we need to hammer out : we
have a standardized list of bus stops in English with unique code and
lat-long, which was formed and freely shared by an org called ITDP.
And we have a separate longer list of bus stop names in Marathi which
we'd gotten from an earlier unorganized dataset. We need to fill in
the Marathi counterparts of the English stop names.

I've put this all on this google spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ppFJeb7Dnj6-1yvniH2Q6exQFzK6fM0wsZNn4XZIvkI/edit?usp=sharing

There are just under 1800 stops to bilingual-ize this way.

So what you have to do:
Play match-the-following, or type some Marathi words in. Simple!
Please write back to me if you're interested in doing a set of rows
for half an hour or so today, and I will add you to the doc as an
editor.

Target completion time: Sunday 5th July EOD. But if you can give some
time today before 4pm that would be great, as we're meeting PMPML's
CMD at that time to discuss on all this. He's recently taken charge
and is very passionate about making all the information transparent
and accessible to the public.

Why this is important :
If you see the routes sheets in the same google spreadsheet, we're
going to populate it with existing route info prepared by ITDP (a few
years old), and have PMPML staff edit and update the route information
using this core list of bus stops. When adding a new stop in a route,
it's got to be linked to other stop info like stopcode, lat-long.
Building up this way, with properly cross-linked information instead
of arbitrary entries, will then enable all the information management
features one needs from a modern public transport service.

Some background:
These exercises had been done in the past, but the technologies used,
the core data like this, etc wasn't properly shared or passed on, and
PMPML themselves weren't involved and so never had the standardized
stuff in their systems. A GTFS (that google maps uses) feed was
created, but that's basically not human-manageable.. the main datafile
is around 6 lakh lines long.

So now we want to do things differently. A very important component
here is OPEN data, and transparency at the input end. This data format
that we've commonly agreed upon is both human and machine readable,
and once set up, will be a lot easier to maintain. PMPML will have
constant direct access to the system and they will be able to edit the
data themselves as soon as there are changes from their end.

It would be great to have a full-on database-powered system.. I am
clueless on that but knew a few excel hacks so am doing it this way.
If YOU have the skills to drum something up then welcome aboard!

Coming back, breaking it down to simple parts : The task for right now
is just to fill Marathi names for each bus stop.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ppFJeb7Dnj6-1yvniH2Q6exQFzK6fM0wsZNn4XZIvkI/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Nikhil
+91-966-583-1250