Hello,

On 29 June 2017 at 16:45, Srijoni <srij...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/nyaayaIN/indian-laws-akns
>
> Nyaaya <http://nyaaya.in/>'s updated Indian laws in machine readable
> format. AKN or Akoma Ntoso <http://www.akomantoso.org/> defines a set of
> simple technology-neutral electronic representations in XML format of
> parliamentary, legislative and judiciary documents. We'll be adding to this
> repo as we update the laws.

Thanks to everyone behind this :) More power for upcoming updates.

I have a small issue with license that you chose. GPL is widely known for
its limitations for applying to artifacts other than software code, hence
GFDL, OFL, creative commons, ODbL, et al came up.

I was looking up and could find other AKN repos using creative commons and
started to think backwards on who really holds copyright of Indian laws,
before one can license it under CC suite.  TIL, a concept called Crown
Copyright related to copyright of parliamentary work, but Wikipedia didnt
have a note about India. I am wondering what could be right license for
"Indian laws" and I am sure you could help legal naive folks like myself.

The other interesting aspect of using GPL is its restrictive, virality
nature and I am not really sure if it was intentional. In some ways I would
be happy if it was intentional as an open source fanboy.

Also wrote about the importance of thinking of laws as open data here -
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/open-platform-laws-how-adop
> tion-standards-tools-can-strengthen-sen

There is no doubt that AKN would take law literally into the hands of a
person through a smartphone and be a good law abiding citizen, but there
might be a lack of restrictive clauses on licenses against abuse of these
same laws by AI / machines using these in a FAT free manner, even while
FAT-ML is being discussed academically. It might be a good thing for anyone
who might be interested in opendata work.

Regards
Srikanth.L