        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ben White
        Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:32 AM
        To: Davinci-linux-open-source@linux.davincidsp.com
        Subject: DSP and ARM development.. do I need 2 PCs?

        Hi All,

        Apologies - this is a similar post to one I previously made but
the question was tagged onto the end of a previous question so it was
never answered.

        I am developing an algorithm that will run on the DSP (with
codec engine), and an application that hands the algo video and displays
the results on the ARM (linux).

        My problem is this:

        + I need to develop the algorithm with CCS, in Windows. In this
environment I have no support from the codec engine (it can only be
built under linux?), so I must provide my own video (via RTDX), take
care of peripheral initialisation, etc.
        + It seems that the correct development route is as follows...

        1. Develop algo in CCS, test with data from RTDX, stdio,
whatever. Manually initialise peripherals I need (like EMIF) the 'hard'
way (uboot would do this on the ARM).
        2. Once I am happy the algorithm is good, reboot into linux,
build the algo into a codec engine app. Test.
        3. If it doesn't work, reboot into windows, attach the debugger
via JTAG. Fix any problems.
        4. Reboot to linux, recompile engine app, retest. Goto 3.

        My problem is that it seems silly... ridiculously silly to have
to keep switching the OS to rebuild and re-test. I get the feeling I am
missing something because I can't believe anybody would ever suggest
this is the right way to do it. Is it really necessary to use 2
different OSs to build and test 1 exe?

        Thanks very much for responses in advance.

        Ben