Thanks for the quick response, Dirk.

To call the configure script, I use:

CC=arm_v5t_le-gcc ./configure --build=i686-linux --host=arm-linux
--prefix=$GSTREAMER_DIR

That seems fine to me. GSTREAMER_DIR is defined as <my DM6446 file
system>/opt/gstreamer. This is a valid path and I've installed glib and
other libs there.

I run make distclean and then I run configure, I get the same output as
before.

I compile using

make clean

make install

<in the check directory>

This again gives me the same result.

I was quite sure the backslashes were causing the problem, so the next
time, after running configure I changed the makefiles (simply removed
the backslashes) and executed make clean and make install again. This
seemed to solve the problem. libcheck.a is now in my
<file_system>/opt/gstreamer/lib/

I still don't know why automake would create an incorrect Makefile.
Would anybody know?

Vijay