1.  Codec datasheets/users guides should contain the codec-specific
extended error codes.  (Unfortunately, the extended error codes vary
from codec to codec, so you'll have to consult the codec docs)

3.  Which version of Codec Engine?  If a recent release (2.00 or later),
you can set a CE_DEBUG env var to 1, 2, or 3 to easily get the trace.
If an older release, it's not quite as easy... but we can help you.
Section 4.8 has the [confusing] details:
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techlit/sprue67

Exactly what you need to do will depend on how your app is written
(e.g., if it uses TraceUtils, the "how do I get DSP-side trace" answer
is different than if it doesn't).  Please give that section a read, and
post a follow-up if you need further help.

[ Looking at your use case - if your app.cfg is configuring TraceUtils
attrs to "SOCRATES_TRACING", the refresh rate is initially set to zero,
meaning the ARM-side polling thread will never pull the DSP-side trace
contents off the DSP.  Once the refresh rate is set to non-zero, the
TraceUtil thread will begin pulling trace data off - you may want to
look in that doc for the traceutils command pipe and issue a
"socrates=on" to it.  Else, change the app.cfg script from
SOCRATES_TRACING to something more friendly like FULL_TRACING which has
an initial refresh period that's non-zero. ]

4.  Often, we've found that the DSP Servers are configured way too
"close to the edge" WRT stack usage.  Enabling trace has, on many
occasions, caused the stack to be blown.  Might check this topic:
http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php?title=Stack_issues

Chris