Hello Thomas,

On 12-Apr-99 19:05:05, you wrote:

> >> Java is still very young. And its powerful GUI classes "Swing" are even
> >> younger. You can't say that lack of numbers of programs proves that Java
> >> can't do it.

> > Although it is pretty much pointless carry on discussusing this point
> > because it's clear that we don't agree on it, the way I see the people
> > that gave up on Java after have tried have done it for reasons that
> > will always persist.

>Now name those reason or be quiet,if you are only speculating.

It's a fact.  For instance a lot of people try and figure that Java is for
instance not better suited for desktop programming when they only mean to
develop for a few platforms and they don't find the speed acceptable.

> >> Some time ago, I wrote a multithreaded server program with VisualC for
> >> Win32. Then we needed the same for UNIX. Rewriting this for 4 different

> > That was a mistake.  You didn't not antecipate the need for writing for
> > other platforms than Windows and of course porting become way more
> > painful. If you develop in Java from the start you are implicitle
> > antecipating the need to run on multiple platforms, although it's never
> > the same thing as doing native versions.

>And it is still a lot of extra work per platform.

That extra work may mean properly supporting the underlying platform and
have better market acceptance for that.  Software is more a business than
activity you do for fun.  Some people just don't think that view is
important.

> >> Now name the Java pitfalls.

> > I'll be repeating myself.

>You did not say much until now. Your only argument was garbage
>collection and that is for most cases totally irrelvant.

Read back again.  I mentioned needless range checking that contribute for
Java speed loss and for some reason you skipped over that. You may add also
user input handling responsiveness as I mentioned in a previous message
although that's only a disadvantage on OSes like Amiga and BeOS.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP key: finger:[EMAIL PROTECTED]