I remember, a few years ago around when this mailing list started, there was some discussion about that one way to help make DBD::SQLite development easier was to make use of something called "alien", a project to help use C libraries from Perl without having to explicitly code XS or wrappers to do so, and maybe pull it from the internet too, or something like that.

I see now that this project may have been realized to the point that we can try using it for DBD::SQLite at least experimentally:

http://blogs.perl.org/users/joel_berger/2013/05/alienbase-final-report.html

So if there are any interested parties, there's something for you to play with.

-- Darren Duncan