On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 02:06  PM, Tim Bunce wrote:

I'm not keen on having the DBI or drivers call methods
when passed blessed references.

I'd say the object should stringify to the standard ISO format
or the uer calls the method explicitly:

    $sth->bind_params(1, $datetime_object->iso, SQL_DATE);
The stringification behavior is exactly what I'd like to see. But does DBI automatically try to stringify objects? For example, if I did:

$sth->execute($datetime_object);

Would it try to stringify the object before passing it to the driver? Or would that only be possible using bind_params(), first?

Also, I'd love to get fetch() and such to optionally turn date and time and datetime fields into objects before returning them, too. Would such a thing be possible?

David [who's given up trying to stay caught up!]

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 15726394