Tim Bunce wrote:

(excluding array-binding support, and the "default"
binding via execute()/execute_array()). Which also raises the issue of how
the default bindings would map to named PHs (perhaps a simple arrayref
of the names supplied as an attribute ?)

No. The only thing I'd be happy with is what DBD::Oracle does. Use implicit placeholder names for the value so

$sth->execute($foo, $bar);

Does this preclude the following ? (as I proposed in 1st message of thread)

$sth->execute( { ":p1" => $foo, ":p2" => $bar } );

such an argument looks to be non-interfering with current usage,
and would be an error w.o named placeholders in the statement's SQL.
Multiple hashrefs could supply values for all the bindings, with later ones
supplying defaults not previously given.