On 18 Jan 2004, at 17:14, John Siracusa wrote:

This topic came up before, when DateTime was just getting off the ground.
DateTime is a lot more mature now, and I still think it's a good idea :)

Along those lines, all of my DBI wrappers have also had a uniform API for
DB-specific date parsing and formatting. My most recent DBI wrapper uses
DateTime as the interchange format for dates. Like the transaction flag,
this should be part of DBI.

I've been using DateTime in production now for a year. While I think it's a great module for certain tasks, the biggest downfall is its size. It's ENORMOUS. Even compared to the DBI (last time I checked anyway). I'd be against mandating it, but would be happy with a flexible system whereby you could have an accessor mapping function, so you could get back DateTime objects for dates, or Time::Piece objects, or whatever alternative you can come up with (and apply the same logic to other data types).

Matt.