Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 04:18:27PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>> Of course, another way could be to extract the SQL-engine interface
>> from DBD::File into a DBI::DBD::SqlEngine and DBD::AnyData uses that
>> without caring of DBD::File (for some time until we could do better).
>
>> That's why I ask: would it be very bad when DBI-1.612 would break
>> DBD::AnyData for a limited amount of month (3-5) or should I (we?)
>> investigate more effort to get a clean, running AnyData and
>> DBD::AnyData out there with DBI-1.612?
>
> Rather than trying to get a "clean" DBD::AnyData, how about we aim for a
> "dirty" one instead?
>
> DBD::AnyData says "use base qw( DBD::File );". The DBD::File that
> shipped with DBI 1.611 could be copied into the DBD::AnyData distro
> and renamed to DBD::AnyOldFile (and hacked internally to match).
> Then DBD::AnyData could say "use base qw( DBD::AnyOldFile );"
>
> Not pretty, or clean, but possibly the basis of a workable solution?
>
> Tim.

I've no idea how many people use DBD::AnyData. I searched blogs etc and
didn't find much but then the same search for some DBDs I know are used
a lot didn't find much either.

A lot of progress seems to be being made with DBD::CSV, DBD::File and
DBD::DBM buy Jens and Merijn and it would be a shame to slow this
because DBD::AnyData needs work to catch up.

Tim's solution seems like an reasonable way around this for now so long
as it is followed up in the near future.

Martin