I can not get a ppm package for a developer release because ActiveState or
someone else does not build that automaticly.
Than I use the typical 2nd way - cpan.
This was the reason to run cpan using the *.tar.gz.
Maybe than I do the same actions like StrawberryPerl.
I do not set extra environment.

Inside of ths perl distribution are 3 binary identical files:
 D:\Perl\site\bin\g77.exe
 D:\Perl\site\bin\g++.exe
 D:\Perl\site\bin\gcc.exe
g++.exe is than the same like gcc.exe

In the directory D:\Perl\site\lib\auto\MinGW\bin are this files:
 addr2line.exe
 ar.exe
 as.exe
 c++.exe
 c++filt.exe
 cpp.exe
 dlltool.exe
 dllwrap.exe
 g++.exe
 g77.exe
 gcc.exe
 gccbug
 gcov.exe
 gprof.exe
 ld.exe
 mingw32-c++.exe
 mingw32-g++.exe
 mingw32-gcc-3.4.5
 mingw32-gcc.exe
 mingw32-make.exe
 mingwm10.dll
 nm.exe
 objcopy.exe
 objdump.exe
 ranlib.exe
 readelf.exe
 size.exe
 strings.exe
 strip.exe
 windmc.exe
 windres.exe
Here is g++.exe the same binary file like mingw32-g++.exe
and gcc.exe is the same like mingw32-gcc.exe and mingw32-gcc-3.4.5.
g++.exe is different to gcc.exe.

I think that is, to allow any name.
But at the end it should give the same result.

You see, there is a lot off staff inside of such a binary Perl distribution.
And instead of a complex environment there are a lot of copied files.

I do only start cpan and run the DBI*.tar.gz.
I do not select any compiler or anything else.

The gear mechanism comes from Makefile.PL, CPAN, and the Perl distribution.
As a Windows user you typical not look into a binary tool.
It works or not.
If not, use an other software.

***

I'm very impressed that DBD::Oracle is alife.
The last release that ActiveState has build was 1.21, maybe later a lot of
conflicts they had.

But I can not see the ActiveState build status, to find out why. Maybe that
important pages were removed.

***

It is not easy to write a distribution for Windows - I know.
But ActiveState has Enterprise Perl.
This is very good for stupid managers.
At work we have to change from Perl to Java now.
There is 1 reason only - enterprise.
It seems to be better to have support for damaged software as running open
source software.

Regards from Steffen