On 21/05/12 13:43, Tim wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 02:50:02AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

1. Columns described as SQL_INTEGER will be bound as SQL_C_LONG and
hence retrieved as a C long and the bound scalar will be set using
sv_setiv
..
2. You cannot override the bound column type.

+1, sounds sensible.

It does. Though I suspect people using code that depends on the internal
numeric vs string distinction will encounter problems.

One example that springs to mind is JSON serialization
http://search.cpan.org/~mlehmann/JSON-XS/XS.pm#PERL_-%3E_JSON

Tim.

It actually makes JSON::XS work whereas it didn't before unless you used TYPE => SQL_INTEGER
and DiscardString => 1. Unless of course, you mean some one using JSON::XS would have got
"NNN" and now will get NNN (I thought the latter was preferably).

JSON::XS was my original usage case for DiscardString.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited