DBI Folks & Gisle,

I want to add support for specifying database connections as URIs to Sqitch, my
DB change management system. I started working on it today, following the
examples of JDBC and PostgreSQL. Before I release, though, I’d like a bit of
feedback on a couple of things.

First, I'm using the database name as the scheme in the URL. Some examples:

    postgresql://user@localhost:5433/dbname
    sqlite:///path/to/foo.db

This is to make it easy to tell one DB from another. But I'm wondering if I
should follow the example of JDBC more closely, and prepend "db:" or something
to them. More like DBI DSNs, too. However, it would require a bit more work, as
URI.pm does not currently recognize multiple colon-delimited strings as scheme
names AFAICT. :-(

Next, I've added a bunch of URI subclasses for various database engines. I’m
not to familiar with some of them, so if you see any listed here where the name
(to be used in the scheme) and the default port is wrong, please let me know:

  https://github.com/theory/uri-db/blob/master/t/db.t#L9

Thanks!

David

PS: Is this something the DBI might want to use?