On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Gisle Aas <gi...@activestate.com> wrote:

> I do find the "db:" prefix ugly.  If you want users to see these strings I
> would think they find this prefix to be clutter too.

Yeah. But I would thin, that if it *was* a standard, there would be just one
scheme defined. That’s a guess, though. Maybe no one would care, and would not
mind an unlimited number of new schemes (one for every db engine)? I don’t know.

> You seem to be alone in calling it "pg:".  For the other examples out there I
> see "postgresql:" or "postgres:".  Should all different ways be allowed and
> lead to the same thing?  I've seen both "mysql:" and "mysql2:". What about
> "mariadb:"?

Yeah, I was going to add "postgres" and "postgresql" subclasses. Maybe "pgsql",
too, I dunno. Never seen "mysql2"; what’s that? Maria is the same as MySQL,
really; I should add it, though, and have it inherit from db:mysql, just as
vertica currently inherits from db:pg.

> For sqlite:-URLs people seem to disagree on how to specify relative vs
> absolute path names.

Really? To me, an absolute path starts with "/". Anything else is relative.

> I wish there actually was _a_ standard for this stuff.  :-)

I’m planning to write it up as a blog post and talk to some other communities
about it.

Thanks,

David