On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:14:24 +1100 Ron Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 06:26:41 -0800 (PST), Michael A Chase wrote:
>

> >my($error);
> >$error = shift -> text();
>
> I tried this:
>         my $error = shift -> text();
> but of course it makes no difference in this context.
>
> I then tried:
>         my $error;
>         $error = shift -> text();
> but of course it makes no difference in this context.
>
> Either way, I'm convinced this is a red herring regarding the problem
> I'm having with spaces in table names.

I agree that in this situation, ->text() returns a single string
regardless of the context.  In other cases, it could be different and
I've found it safer to use a scalar context unless I'm expecting a
function to return a list.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html