Bjorn:

I intend to write a brief 'howto' with all the details on it, but in
short:
-use Perl 5.8.0 (the latest stable from CPAN)
-use the xlc_r version of IBM's compiler and build 32 bit Perl. All
tests should be successfull.
-get and install DBI
-get DBD::Oracle. Edit the Makefile.PL or Makefile for DBD::Oracle,
changing references to Oracle's ../lib to ../lib32. and change crt0_64.o
to crt0_r.o. Remove the -q32 and/or -q64 options from the list of
libraries to link with. Do the make and make test. All tests should be
successfull -against Oracle 9.x at least.
You should have no problems with Oracle 8.1.7, but accessing Oracle 7.x
or previous is not possible (you'll core dump, or simply hang). The same
goes for a Linux build or a Digital build, regarding access of different
Oracle versions.

I plan to try a full 64 bit build of Perl, DBI and DBD::Oracle next
week, and will post results. If you try this route, per Tim Bunce's
comment, disregard a DBI test fail on 03handle.pl indicating that the
wrong number of bytes was returned.

regards,
Rafael Caceres