On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:34:11 -0500, NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI) wrote:

Hi Scott

We're drifting off-topic, so I'll just give a schema below and then
fade away...

>    Let's say that I have users Mary, Joe, Frank, and Dan.  I also
have
>servers panther, cheetah, jaguar and lion.  The data for each
>account that I
>want to maintain is UID, GID, home directory, and default shell.

Here's one design:

You have a list of servers, and every list should be in its own
table, so:
table: server
columns:
server_id auto inc primary key
server_name unique key

You have a list of users, and every list should be in its own table,
so:
table: user
columns:
user_id auto inc primary key
user_name unique key (careful!)

The complex relation between server and user requires another table
to manage that relation, so:
table: account
columns:
account_id auto inc primary key
account_server_id key
account_user_id key
account_uid
account_gid
account_home
account_shell

and, yes, I can see 1 table and 2 table solutions.
--
Cheers
Ron Savage, [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 20/06/2003