Just wanted to let people know what worked for me for connecting to an
Oracle database on a Windows XP platform, using both DBD::ODBC *AND*
DBD::Oracle.  Thanks to Jeff Urlwin for all the help - see Jeff's
suggestions below for reference.  NOTE that my version of ActiveState
Perl is 5.8.2.

  1. Using 'ppm uninstall DBD::ODBC' I uninstalled DBD::ODBC.
  2. Using 'ppm uninstall DBD::Oracle' I uninstalled DBD::Oracle.
  3. Using 'ppm uninstall DBI' I uninstalled DBI.
  4. Did 'ppm install
ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBI.ppd '
          to install the DBI binary for AS Perl 5.8.2 from Jeff's
repository
  5. Did 'ppm install
ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBD-ODBC.ppd '
          to install the DBD::ODBC binary for AS Perl 5.8.2 from
Jeff's
          repository.
  6. Did 'ppm install
ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBD-Oracle.ppd '
           to install the DBD::Oracle binary for AS Perl 5.8.2 from
Jeff's
           repository.

Then for the DBD::Oracle test, I created this small test script:

#!C:\Perl\bin
use strict;
use DBI;

my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:host=MY_HOST;sid=MY_SID',
                          'my_user',
                          'my_password',
                          { RaiseError => 1, PrintError => 1 }
) || die "Can't connect: $dbi::errstr";

print "Successful Connect: \$dbh=[$dbh]\n";

----------------------------

And it worked.

Hardy Merrill

>>> "Jeff Urlwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/04/04 03:46PM >>>
>
> Jeff, I still don't know what my problem is - maybe you can help me.

> How do I know if I have the Oracle client libraries installed
> on this WinXP machine?  I have a C:\Oracle\Ora81 directory
> which contains a bunch of folders, so I'm guessing I have at
> least the client installed.
> I do have a C:\Oracle\Ora81\network\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora file.
>
> Do you know why I keep getting this error:
>
>    Error: no suitable installation target found for package
> DBD-Oracle8.

Yep.  That's a PPM error, not an oracle error.

> when I do 'ppm install DBD-Oracle8.ppd' ??  Is it because I'm
> using an Activestate DBD-Oracle8.zip from the ActivePerl 6xx
> folder when I actually have ActivePerl 5.8.2 (ActivePerl 8xx)
> ??  Would your DBI and DBD::Oracle binaries solve my problem?
>  I'm guessing they would ;-)

Probably.  The best thing to do is let me know which version of Perl.

If you have 5.8.2 perl (build 808?), then you should be able to do
(hmmm...forgot the URL...ah, there it is):

ppm install ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBI.ppd
ppm install ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBD-ODBC.ppd
ppm install ftp://ftp.esoftmatic.com/outgoing/DBI/5.8.2/DBD-Oracle.ppd

> Thanks for any input you can give.

Np

Jeff