A bit OT here, but I'm curious - does mysqlhotcopy allow you to do a
backup without shutting down MySQL?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqlhotcopy.html

I know this is over-simplifying, but couldn't automating MySQL backups
with mysqlhotcopy be as simple as adding a MySQL user with read(?) privs
to the database(s) to be backed up, and then putting a "mysqlhotcopy"
command with all the necessary options into a cron job or windows
scheduler?

Hardy

>>> Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/07/04 01:30PM >>>
I believe mysql also ships with mysqlhotcopy (which I wrote)
you may find it useful.

Tim.