Sorry for the poor message quoting - groupwise.

From: Hardy Merrill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think you'll find that Perl can do any and all of what you asked
about, but you're asking about pretty general topics.  If you can be
more specific it's likely you'll get more specific answers.

Hardy,
Specifically, we need to do Oracle database development running in a
browser, which includes:
- add, delete, modify records
  >>HM Standard database interaction for a cgi script - Perl or
other...

- display on-screen reports of that data
  >>HM Nothing special about that

- print hard-copy reports
  >>HM Pretty standard

- run batch processes
  >>HM All(?) languages have functionality which permits external
               commands to be executed.  CGI scripts are no different.

- allow for concurrent use
  >>HM Not quite sure what you mean here - concurrent use is the
               job of the webserver, isn't it??

One thing I can't comment on is the impact mod_perl could have on what
you're trying to achieve.  I've never used mod_perl, but using it is a
way to increase the performance of scripts running through your
webserver - and it gives you access to webserver internals.

HTH.

Hardy Merrill

We've already put together some simple Perl / HTML / SQL scripts that
display data, but I  just didn't know if Perl and HTML were robust
enough to do all the aforementioned.

Thanks.
Nancy

Since you ask here on the Perl *DBI* mailing list, in my experience,
which includes (not to say I'm an expert in these ;-) Perl, PHP,
Python,
some ASP, no other tool in that list has the mature database
independent
interface that Perl does.  This is an excellent tool that allows you
write database independent code for any application that interfaces
with
a database.  The major "pro" of DBI is that if you write your apps for
"Oracle" (DBD::Oracle), that sometime down the road if you change your
database to DB2, that your code will not have to change much -
assuming
that you don't take advantage of oracle-specific functionality
provided
by Oracle.

I don't know Coldfusion or Java so I can't offer any insight there.

HTH.

Hardy Merrill

>>> "MCMULLIN, NANCY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08/09/04 11:26AM >>>
Generic question to the group...

It's been requested that we expand our Perl / Database / Web
development to do more advanced things, such as database maintenance,
reporting and monitoring (over the web).

Would you recommend continuing to use strictly Perl for all of this,
or
jump to another tool, such as Coldfusion, PHP, Java or something else?

I guess I'm wondering how easy or hard it would be to develop
everything
using only Perl.

Thanks for the advice.
Nancy