On 01/05/2005 11:33 PM, Sam Vilain said:

Thilo Planz wrote:

The Oracle 10g client libraries used by your DBI should be able to
connect to older versions of Oracle as well. So ideally, your
8.1.7 users can use the DBI you already installed.

Careful, there's a compatibility matrix there. I vaguely remember the Oracle DBA here mentioning that the 10g libraries can't connect to Oracle 8.

However, the version 8 libraries can definitely connect to 10g.

One important thing to remember is that you need to set the environment for the Oracle version that DBD::Oracle was compiled for. That is, if DBD::Oracle was compiled with Oracle 8i, ORACLE_HOME and other environment variables need to point to an Oracle 8i installation. You can specify an Oracle 10g SID in the connect string as long as it is described in the tnsnames.ora of the Oracle 8i directories.

--
Mac :})
** I usually forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **