> > Does anyone have a good pointer on what's required to compile DBI
> > under Windows (using the ActiveState base)?
>
>  The general rule is you need the same compiler that was used
> to compile the Perl you're using. For ActiveState, that's
> Microsoft Visual C++. Other than that, there's not much in
> the way of prerequisites. This mail reminded me to upgrade to
> 1.48 on this machine, and all I needed to do was open a
> Visual Studio .NET command prompt (i.e. just the shortcut to
> a normal command prompt but it runs vcvars32.bat) and run
> "cpan DBI" which fetches, compiles and installs it.

Be careful with that, too.  It depends upon which version of ActiveState &
versions of
Visual Studio.

I need to recheck on this, but I think they are still using VS6 (VC98), SP3.
If you are
building for perl 5.6 (for any reason), you MUST use this specific version as
they still
had the C++ objects behind the scenes and MS changed the in-memory object
layout in SP4 --
which causes some NASTY issues.  I believe with 5.8 that's removed and you can,
safely,
use VS.NET with one caveat.  VS.Net uses a different shared C library DLL, so
you might
run into some strange memory leaks (allocate mem from one runtime library and
try to
release it from another -- best case is it's a leak).  It's best to still use
VS6,
especially if you want to distribute the resulting packages to other machines.

Regards,

Jeff