I have recently come across a problem with cPanel/Fedora and DBI. After a recent
update of cpanel the exim stats script stopped working, and produces the
following error:

Starting eximstats: DBI connect('eximstats:localhost','eximstats',...) failed:
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL client at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/eximstats line 262
Can't Connect at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/eximstats line 265.

I sent a ticket to cpanel, which they replied:

by saying to add the old-password=1 to the my.cnf file, which did not work, then
they performed the following on the server:

mysql -V
mysql: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1'

So I removed it from /etc/my.cnf

# mysql -V
mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.10a, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)

via CLI it works:

# mysql -ueximstats -pIOcgBuMJ eximstats Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands
end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 574 to server version: 4.1.10a-standard

mysql> exit
Bye

vie DBI it does not:

# perl -MDBI -e
'DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:eximstats:localhost","eximstats","IOcgBuMJ") or die
DBI->errstr;'
DBI connect('eximstats:localhost','eximstats',...) failed: Client does not
support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client at -e line 1 Client does not support authentication protocol requested
by server; consider upgrading MySQL client at -e line 1.

while root's does:

# perl -MDBI -e 'DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:test:localhost","root","iosdFYEv") or
die DBI->errstr;'

After that did not work, they directed me to your list, in the hopes you could
give me some assistance with how to resolve this. Any help you can offer is
much appreicated.

Chris