On 10/6/05, Rutherdale, Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have some Perl DBI scripts and have been running them on a Perl
> compiled
> with threading disabled. (I.e. perl -V gives ...usethreads=undef...). I
> also have another environment where Perl is compiled with
> usethreads=define
> and have found the threading capabilities useful. (This is the Perl 5.8
> threads.pm <http://threads.pm> variety.)
>
> My question is this: if I were to upgrade the platform with the threadless
> Perl to a threaded Perl, would this risk reducing stability or reliability
> of the existing Perl DBI applications?
>
> These applications wouldn't be using multithreading, just switching to a
> Perl with threading enabled.

I don't have the hands on experience, so if someone with such experience
contradicts me, you should probably take their advice over mine.

My understanding is that a Perl with multi-threading where you do not use
the multithreading should be as stable as a Perl without the multithreading.
However, there's a chance that some modules may not be so happy. OTOH, DBI
shouldn't be one of those modules; it ensures single-tracking through it.
OTOOH, if you aren't using the multi-threading, there still shouldn't be any
problem.

--
Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2005.02 - http://dbi.perl.org