From: Jonathan Leffler [mailto:jonathan.leff...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:42 PM
To: Parag Kalra
Subject: Re: Official DBI module for Solaris Box

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Parag Kalra <paragka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Surprised to see no response yet. :-)

Well, the question is a bit odd too...I'll attempt to address the original too.

> Anyways  few more questions -
>
> For which version of Perl on Solaris, does DBI comes integrated with Perl or
> is it like on Solaris we always explicitly need to install DBI module
> externally.

DBI is not distributed as standard on Solaris.

> If the customer has valid support contract, can Sun Support help to get DBI
> installed?

Unlikely.

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Parag Kalra <paragka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am facing this situation where I have coded a Perl framework on Windows
>> and its all working fine. The framework mostly uses DBI and ODBC module to
>> connect to both Oracle server, execute SQL queries, fetch Rows etc etc.

OK - so far, so good.

>> Now the customer wants to use the framework on a Solaris machine (it has
>> Perl installed - 5.8.4). However that Solaris machine doesn't have DBI
>> module as a result of which I can't use my framework. But it has Oracle
>> client installed using which (sqlplus, sqlldr etc) I am able to connect to
>> the Oracle DB Server (located remotely)

This is perfectly normal - Perl on Sun does not come with DBI.
Since Perl is provided by the o/s, I regard it is dubious, if not
dangerous, to tinker with the system Perl.
Besides, its usually archaic - so I always install the version of Perl
I want on the machine, out of the way of the main system-provided
Perl.
That way, the o/s can use its version unmolested by me, and I can use
my version unrestrained by the o/s.

>> The best solution here seems to get the DBI module installed using Sun
>> Support. Does Sun provide support for Perl modules (particulary DBI) on its
>> own OS - Solaris?

Doubtful.  Ask Sun.  But assume the answer is no.

>> Customer doesn't want to install anything third party that didn't come
>> pre-installed with Solaris box.

This is weird...so, how is your application ever going to run?  And
how did Oracle get installed?  It is not a part of base Solaris.

>> However he may give a thought to installing
>> new version of standalone Perl which will have DBI module integrated. I
>> guess Perl 5.10.1 has DBI present by default. Could someone please confirm.

Guess again.  You have to add DBI to Perl.

>> In addition to DBI do I need any other module to connect to Oracle DB from
>> a Solaris machine?

You're going to need a DBD module - presumably DBD::Oracle.

>> Is there any other way I can convince the client that Perl is good
>> OpenSource tool and certainly not a malacious software.

Probably not.

>> Also more solutions to install DBI module on Solaris are most wellcome.

Either you're allowed to install software or you are not.
If you are allowed, go ahead and install what you need.
If you are not allowed, then leave the customer gently stewing in
their own juice.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org