On 28/09/2012 23:54, Jeff Tate wrote:

I have got back to the task. I have installed an openSUSE virtual machine (matches the production server) and then installed Teradata GSS, ICU, CLIV2 and ODBC -packages. I have verified that the drivers function by installing the Teradata navigator and successfully getting data over ODBC.

This time, when I run cpan test DBD::ODBC, I get an undefined symbol error (SQLFetch) from dynaloader trying to load ODBC.so. I have attached the full build and test trace from the cpan session.

Thanx for any help.

From: Martin J. Evans [mailto:martin.ev...@easysoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:33 PM
To: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: Re: Help please with DBD::ODBC on SUSE-Linux

On 15/08/2012 18:25, Jeff Tate wrote:

> Step 1)  added ODBC trace information to odbcinst.ini (made my own

> copy (system file)) and change $ODBCINST to address

>                 NO output produced in trace file

That suggests you are NOT using unixODBC as the ODBC driver manager.

Therefore this increases the places where the problem may be as I've not tried whatever driver manager comes with teradata.

Martin

The make did not find unixODBC or iodbc via odbc_config or iodbc_config. It then looked in standard places for it and finally in your "ODBCHOME /opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64". It seemed to find iODBC libraries and headers in ODBCHOME and built against it but there was no SQLFetch symbol.

As I said before, I've not tried DBD::ODBC against an iODBC that comes with Teradata. However, I have had problems with missing symbols in iODBC before. I'd install the unixODBC dev and bin packages, unset ODBCHOME and run perl Makefile.PL -x. That should build fine then you need to add your driver to the /etc/odbcinst.ini and put a DSN in the /etc/odbc.ini.

Unfortunately I cannot be of much help as to what settings teradata needs in the DSN. Basically, you need to find your teradata ODBC driver shared object and add to your odbcinst.ini file something like:

[ODBC]
Trace=yes
TraceFile=/tmp/unixodbc.log

[teradata]
Description = Teradata ODBC driver
Driver = /path/to/teradata/odbc/driver/shared_object.so

Your /etc/odbc.ini should look something like:

[my_teradata_dsn]
Driver = teradata
some_attribute = some_value
another_attribute = another_value

Then you should use
isql -v my_teradata_dsn username password

Once that works build DBD::ODBC setting DBI_DSN=dbi:ODBC:my_terdata_dsn, DBI_USER=username, DBI_PASS=password and run a make test.

Martin