On 26/06/2013 17:28, Dan Bent wrote:
I suddenly lost the ability to connect to my ODBC database yesterday,
after years of using the same function to establish a connection:

sub dbaseconnect {
     if (defined($testing)) {
         if ($testing eq "YES") {
             $dsn =  'dbi:ODBC:test1' ;
             print "Using test database\n" ;
         } elsif ($testing eq "TRAIN") {
             $dsn =  'dbi:ODBC:train1' ;
             print "Using train1 database\n" ;
         } else {
             $dsn =  'dbi:ODBC:prod1' ;
         }
     } else {
         $dsn =  'dbi:ODBC:prod1' ;
     }
     $user =  'USER' ;
     $passwd =  'PASSWORD' ;
     my %adrivers = DBI->available_drivers();
     print join(", ", %adrivers), "\n" ;

     print "connecting to DATABASE $dsn  $user $passwd\n" ;
     $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $passwd,
                 {RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 0})
         or die "Could not connect to database: " . DBI->errstr ;
     print "connected to DATABASE $dsn \n" ;
}

So, to gather information about where the failure is, I ran the
following program:

#! /usr/bin/perl

use DBI ;
use DBD::ODBC ;
use strict ;
use warnings ;

print "Available Drivers: " ;
my @adrivers = DBI->available_drivers();
print join(", ", @adrivers), "\n" ;

print "Data Sources: " ;
foreach my $driver ( @adrivers ) {
     print "Driver: $driver\n";
     my @dataSources = DBI->data_sources( $driver );
     foreach my $dataSource ( @dataSources ) {
         print "\tData Source is $dataSource\n";
     }
     print "\n";
}

and the output I got was:

Available Drivers: DBM, ExampleP, File, ODBC, Proxy, Sponge
Installed Drivers:
Data Sources: Driver: DBM
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=.
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=CIGNA
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=Logs
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=ONCOURSE
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=autemp
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=config
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=fh.cob
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=perlscripts
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=pndspndwk
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=prgrun_dir
         Data Source is DBI:DBM:f_dir=scripts

Driver: ExampleP
         Data Source is dbi:ExampleP:dir=.

Driver: File
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=.
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=CIGNA
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=Logs
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=ONCOURSE
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=autemp
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=config
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=fh.cob
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=perlscripts
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=pndspndwk
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=prgrun_dir
         Data Source is DBI:File:f_dir=scripts

Driver: ODBC

and the program just hangs when it looks for data sources using the ODBC
driver. So, I suspect that there are issues with the ODBC driver. Here
are the versions of the various DBI module components:

  perl -MDBI -e 'DBI->installed_versions'
   Perl            : 5.008008    (PA-RISC1.1-thread-multi)
   OS              : hpux        (11.00)
   DBI             : 1.50
   DBD::Sponge     : 11.10
   DBD::Proxy      : install_driver(Proxy) failed: Can't locate
RPC/PlClient.pm in @INC
   DBD::ODBC       : 1.14
   DBD::File       : 0.33
   DBD::ExampleP   : 11.12
   DBD::DBM        : 0.03

I imagine that I may not have the latest versions of everything, and
updates are probably in order, but, while updates are desirable, I'd
like to be sure that I'm addressing the root cause of the problem, so I
get it resolved. This issue affects a lot of programs, and is critical
to our business.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You are in deed running VERY old versions - especially of DBD::ODBC.

You first need to think about what Jonathan said - he's probably right that working out what changed yesterday is probably going to give the quickest result.

Assuming you cannot find anything here are some suggestions.

DBD::ODBC is usually linked to an ODBC driver manager but back in the days of 1.14 people still linked directly to an ODBC driver sometimes - ODBC drivers did not support enumerating DSNs - only the driver manager does that. So first thing is hwo was DBD::ODBC built? If you don't know that look for ODBC.so in your perl tree and run the HPUX equivalent of Linux's ldd command on it to find what libraries it depends on (right now I cannot remember what the command is).

Once you've done that if the answer is libodbc.so.something then you are probably using the unixODBC driver manager. In that case you should hopefully have an isql binary and you should have an odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini defining your drivers and DSNs. What is in those files. Can you run:

isql -v TEST1 username password
isql -v TRAIN1 username password
isql -v PROD1 username password

as you didn't say which one you are using?

If you get back with this info I'll help more.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Wetherby, UK