Hi folks,

I have upgraded a mail server from DBMail 3.0.2 to 3.1.10 master branch from 11.02.2014. The old DBMail instance had to be restarted once, or twice a day, as it was consuming memory, otherwise working well, with no major problems. Due to the substantial size of the database, the upgrade took some time. After the upgrade, users started to complain. Unfortunately, it wasn't the ordinary grumbles, but really serious problems (see below). Finally, I had to roll back the update >:(

Background

The old DBMail 3.0.2 server had the following characteristics:

Linux Slackware 13.37.0 64-bit, specially crafted pvops DomU kernel 2.6.38 running under Xen 4.1.0 (and a few weeks under Xen 4.3.1). The physical mail server had been previously ported from 2.2.16 via 3.0.0, to 3.0.2 and virtualized more or less straight off a little bit more than 2 years ago. And no major problems, except for memory consumption...

DBMail 3.0.2
MySQL 5.1.56
gmime 2.4.15
glib 2.28
glibc 2.13
libevent 2.0.17
libzdb 2.10
libsieve 2.2.1

Mail front end was Postfix 2.9.1 with Amavis, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Postgrey

The upgraded server has got the following characateristics:

Linux Slackware 14.1 64-bit, latest Xen DomU pvops kernel 3.13.2, running under Xen 4.3.1.

DBMail 3.1.10 master branch from 11.02.2014
MariaDB 5.5.34
gmime 2.6.19
glib 2.36.4
glibc 2.17
libevent 2.0.21
libzdb 2.12 (also tried 3.0)
libsieve 2.3.1

In the downgraded server I kept all the newest libraries, and MariaDB. DBMail 3.0.2 was recompiled against those libraries without any complaints.

Mail front end is now Postfix 2.11.0, Amavis, ClamAV, SpamAssasin, absolutely latest versions. Postgrey was dropped, as it is unecessary with the current version of Postfix.

Clients are almost exclusively the most current Mozilla Thunderbird under Windows XP/2008/7/8

Problems