Hi,
Since I could not access DBPedia sparql endpoint using my server, but be able to access DBPedia using a different IP address, I believe that I was blocked by DBPedia.

I am so sorry.

I believe it is caued by some wrong codes in my experimental application. All the query for DBPedia should be cached in mongodb, but I forgot to properly setup my application to use the cached data. Since there is a very complex query in my application, I believe that it has caused very heavy load to your server. I am so sorry for that.

I have properly re-checked my codes, and have make sure that all the cache will work properly. In fact, it has been reading cached query results from mongodb so that I didn't realize that I am blocked till my application halts on new queries.

I am deeply sorry for the mistake.

And, please unblock me so that I could continue my research work.

Thanks.

As far as i can see you have now been unblocked, so please try and let me know if you are able to contact the service again.

The following maybe of interest to everyone on the mailing list:

Blocked access to dbpedia.org
=============================

There are several levels of blocks on the dbpedia.org server to control as many people as possible get a fair share at running queries against dbpedia.org.

The first block is set in the /sparql endpoint and limits the number of triples than can be retrieved by any query and the maximum time a query is allowed to run. In both cases the use of paging using the LIMIT xxx OFFSET yyyy construction can be used to fetch a result set in chunks. In all these cases a corresponding 50x HTTP status will alert your application that your request was too big to handle at that time.

The second one is performed by the ratelimiter and creates a temporary block. As soon as your hit rate to the server is back to normal you are automatically unlisted. Note that you should write your applications to check the HTTP status codes as these tell you repeatedly you are making too many requests within a certain time period. A simple sleep at that point normally is all you need.

The third one is a real block. This happens when our operators detect a systematical ignoring of the HTTP status codes. At that point you will be placed on a blocklist and will remain there until you contact us (like you did) or when our operators clean the blocklist. We very seldom put addresses on the blocklist unless there are literally tens of thousands of request in the error log within a single day. At that point we feel that this IP address may be disrupting other people from accessing the dbepdia.org servers and will go ahead with the block.

In cases where there is a webservice registered, as is standard practice for some crawlers etc, we attempt to contact the administrator of the site to inform them, but many cases this is not possible to quickly determine and we go ahead and block the IP until the owner contacts us via this mailinglist, or via on of the many contacts for dbpedia.

In all cases relating to access to to the dbpedia.org service you can contact me pkl...@openlinksw.com directly so we can discuss what needs to be fixed in your app to regain access to dbpedia.org.

Best regards,

Patrick
---