One of the goals of the infovore project is to develop something that
targets this latency problem.

https://github.com/paulhoule/infovore/wiki

    I’ve talked with a number of organizations that use DBpedia and Freebase
data and almost all of them have either no solution or an incomplete solution
for dealing with changes over time,  something that’s absolutely necessary for
sustainable social-semantic systems.  Many of them have considered developing
it but decided against developing it in house.

   When Freebase changed the format of the RDF dump I was able to adapt in less
than a week (most of the time delay was that no official dump came out that
week and I didn’t know what was going on);  after fixing my code I was able to
run against it interactively.

   Infovore is not using Hadoop so much for “big data”,  but rather for “low
latency”.  Not extremely low latency,  but once I trust the system enough it
ought to have Freebase processed before I wake up on Sunday.  The files are
smaller than the official dump and will load faster,  both things that will
lower latency for the consumer.

   Right now the process is limited by the not-so-parallel process of
ungzipping and re-gzipping the Freebase dump,  but I believe a processing
pipeline much more complex than the current one could still be run in less than
a hour if you throw enough AWS instances at it

   The framework ought to work for any RDF data,  including DBpedia (for which
it has been tested),  and I have a lot of stuff planned,  including something
that could “smush” Dbpedia identifiers to Freebase identifiers or the other way
around to create a merged data set.

   Yes,  what I am doing today is much simpler than what DBpedia is doing,  but
I’m taking a multi-pronged approach that focuses on process as much as
technology.  I’m keeping a notebook of how much time it takes me to do
everything and learning how to squeeze out the errors and waste time with a
battery of methods that are being documented.  It is possible to run clusters
in Amazon EMR by simply providing a credential pair – you don’t need to know
much at all about AWS or Hadoop.

    I invite all of you to follow the this project and github and also follow
the Google Group

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/infovore-basekb

    where you’ll get roughly two status reports a week and where people with
questions get quick answers.

     I can definitely use contributions too,  because the list of things I’d
like to see are long and my own work will be focused on my own needs.  Even if
you don’t contribute,  I welcome feature requests on the issue tracker.