(I replied previously, but I don't think it went to the mailing list...
apologies for any faux pas)

So, I started at the How To Edit DBPedia Mappings page (
http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/How_to_edit_DBpedia_Mappings) .. Then
i clicked on 'Infobox Mappings' and then 'Australia state or territories'..

I then get to the DBPedia page which details the mapping for 'Australia
state or territories'.. There is a link to 'Check which properties are not
mapped yet.', and when I click on it I get a page indicating many
properties are mapped, but are not in the template definition. My question,
is why would a property that is not in the template be mapped?

Thanks!