@Andrea,

        there are old static dumps available,  but I can say that running
the web crawler is not at all difficult.  I got a list of topics by looking
at the ?s for DBpedia descriptions and then wrote a very simple
single-threaded crawler that took a few days to run on a micro instance in
AWS.

       The main key to writing a successful web crawler is keeping it
simple.

On Dec 5, 2013 4:23 AM, "Andrea Di Menna" <ninn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/12/4 Paul Houle <ontolo...@gmail.com>
>>
>> I think I could get this data out of some API,  but there are great
>> HTML 5 parsing libraries now,  so a link extractor from HTML can be
>> built as quickly than an API client.
>>
>> There are two big advantages of looking at links in HTML:  (i) you can
>> use the same software to analyze multiple sites,  and (ii) the HTML
>> output is often the most tested output of a system.  This is
>> particularly a problem in the case of Wikipedia markup which has no
>> formal specification and for which the editors aren't concerned if the
>> markup is clean but they will fix problems if they cause the HTML to
>> look wrong.
>>
>> Another advantage of HTML is that you can work from a static dump
>> file,
>

> Where can you get such dump from?
>

>> or run a web crawler against the real Wikipedia
>

> Seems not practical
>

>> or against a
>> local copy of Wikipedia loaded from the database dump files.
>

> Pretty slow, isn't it?
>
> Cheers!
> Andrea
>

>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Andrea Di Menna <ninn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > I guess Paul wanted to know which book is cited by one wikipedia page
(e.g.
>> > page A cites book x).
>> > If I am not wrong by asking template transclusions you only get the
first
>> > part of the triple (page A).
>> >
>> > Paul, your use case is interesting.
>> > At the moment we are not dealing with the {{cite}} template nor {{cite
>> > book}} etc.
>> > We are looking into extensions which could support similar use cases
anyway.

>> > Also please note that at the moment the framework does not handle
references
>> > either (i.e. what is inside <ref></ref>) when using the
SimpleWikiParser [1]

https://github.com/dbpedia/extraction-framework/blob/master/core/src/main/scala/org/dbpedia/extraction/wikiparser/impl/simple/SimpleWikiParser.scala#L172

Wikimedia