The strength of the Wikipedia categories is that there are a lot of
them and a lot of statements matching instances to categories.

The weakness of categories is that they are completely disorganized.

There are two good strategies for using the categories.

One of them is to treat them abstractly and use them as inputs for
numerical algorithms.  For instance,  you can use algorithms such as
Kleinberg's Hubs and Authorities where categories are treated as hubs
and instances are treated as authorities.  Similarly you can create
similarity scores based on the categories shared between items.

I've used wikipedia categories to create my own well-defined
categories such as "things related to New York City" or "obscene
things" or "things related to skiing"  In all of these categories you
have things that are easy to ontologize,  such as ski areas,  and
other things such as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_manufacturing_techniques

that are not easy to ontologize.  Generally I've made these by doing
waves of expansion and contraction,  traversing the graph and adding
inclusion and exclusion rules.  In the past with half-baked tools I've
been able to create good categories of 10,000 or so members in a day
or so.  With good tools it ought to be possible to work faster.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Amir H. Jadidinejad
<amir.jad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to leverage Wikipedia Category Network for a semantic processing
> application. A set of Wikipedia articles are extracted from the document and
> I want to build a meaningful hierarchical taxonomy using Wikipedia
> categories. In my experiments, I found that the original category network of
> Wikipedia is really messy. For example, when some articles are mentioned in
> a document, it leads to the whole category network!
>
> I haven’t use DBpedia before; I just really interested to know, if I
> leverage DBpedia, is it possible to have a meaningful taxonomy of categories
> with hyponym relations?

Paul Houle
Expert on Freebase, DBpedia, Hadoop and RDF
(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontol...@gmail.com