Hello everyone,

my name is Vincent and I will work on the project " A Hybrid Classifier/Rule-based Event Extractor for DBpedia" during this year's Google Summer Of Code. I'm happy to work for DBpedia Spotlight and with you during the summer. You can find the abstract to my project below.

Sincerly,
Vincent Bohlen

Abstract:
In modern times the amount of information published on the internet is growing to an immeasurable extent. Humans are no longer able to gather all the available information by hand but are more and more dependent on machines collecting relevant information automatically. This is why automatic information extraction and in especially automatic event extraction is important. In this project I will implement a system for event extraction using Classification and Rule-based Event Extraction. The underlying data for both approaches will be identical. I will gather wikipedia articles and perform a variety of NLP tasks on the extracted texts. First I will annotate the named entities in the text using named entity recognition performed by DBpedia Spotlight. Additionally I will annotate the text with Frame Semantics using FrameNet frames. I will then use the collected information, i.e. frames, entities, entity types, with the aforementioned two different methods to decide if the collection is an event or not.