Dear Dimitris,

We are creating our own concepts for the Unified Astronomy Thesaurus (
http://astrothesaurus.org), but we are trying to figure out if there are
community standards or best practices for using numeric IDs vs. descriptive
IDs.

Or, if there are no best practices, then what is the reason DBpedia is
using descriptive IRIs (sounds like dbpedia uses descriptive because thats
what wikipedia uses, fair enough!).

You did raise an interesting question regarding the granularity and how the
change of a description might also signify a change in the understanding of
the concept.  We will have to think on this!

Best,
Katie

--
Katie E. Frey
John G. Wolbach Library, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn’t
it?"
- Rand al'Thor (in Robert Jordan's The Shadow Rising, Book Four of the
Wheel of Time)

"This is insanity!"   "No, this is scholarship!"
- Yalb and Shallan (in Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance, Book Two of
the Stormlight Archive)