As someone who has lived here for 30 years, I can tell you that "Pembroke
Pines" (where my Mom lives) was considered the town of "Hollywood" back in
those days. Pembroke Pines is now a town (1970s incorporated?) and split off
from Hollywood and both are in the greater Fort Lauderdale area.

Using "Miami" was a way to promote the concert IMHO. "Hollywood Speedway"
should have been the name back then as it was in Hollywood, FL. Same with the
Hollywood Sportatorium (spelling?), it was in Hollywood back then not Pembroke
Pines.

Both Hollywood & Pembroke Pines still exist today as separate towns side X side
in Broward County FL a suburb <grin> of the greater Ft. Lauderdale area. Miami
is in a different county and parts of Miami have be broken up over the years to
also have many towns.

--- On Mon, 12/28/09, Drew Layman <drewlay...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It appears that the correct venue
> info for this show is as follows:
>
> Miami-Hollywood Speedway
> Pembroke Pines, FL
>
> Also, it was called the Miami Rock Festival (not the
> Hollywood Pop Festival).
>
> Poster art can be seen here:
> http://www.concertposterart.com/poster/display/Grateful-Dead-Miami-Rock-Festival-1969-Concert-Poster-Type-Ad
>
> Drew