April 3

INDONESIA:

Bali governor urges execution of nightclub bombers

The governor of the Indonesian resort island of Bali has called on the
president to speed up the execution of 3 convicted militants in death row
for the October 2002 nightclub bombings that killed 202 people.

"We have sent (the letter) to the president. I and all regents here have
proposed that the execution be carried out faster," Governor Dewa Made
Beratha was quoted as saying by leading news website Detikcom Tuesday.

But Beratha said Jakarta had not responded to the call.

The inmates -- Amrozi, Imam Samudera and Ali Ghufron -- were convicted in
2003 for masterminding the bombings at 2 nightclubs packed with foreigners
on the island.

They were sentenced to death by firing squad but the execution has not
been carried out pending appeals by their families.

An angry mob stormed a jail in Bali where the inmates were being held
following triple suicide bombings at 3 restaurants that killed 19 people
in October 2005, demanding for their execution.

The incident prompted local authorities to transfer the jailed 3 to the
maximum security prison island of Nusa Kambangan in Central Java.

(source: Xinhua)