April 25

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES:

2 men facing death penalty win retrial

The Abu Dhabi criminal court charged the 2 men, identified as B.K. and
I.N., with premeditated murder after they killed a man, identified as
I.K..

According to the prosecution, the 2 men came into I.K.'s shop when he was
alone. While B.K. tied him from the back, I.N. stabbed him with a knife in
the neck, chest and stomach.

The 2 men then stole money, clothes and tissues from I.K.'s shop and fled,
according to the prosecution.

The court sentenced the 2 men to death, ordering the execution to be done
in front of the family of I.K.

Appeal

I.N. appealed against the sentence.

He claimed that the translator involved in the investigation was not an
authorised one.

(source: Gulf News)

JAPAN:

Robbery-murder gets death penalty

The Morioka District Court sentenced a 30-year-old man to death Tuesday
for killing 2 women in a robbery-murder case last July in the town of
Hirono, Iwate Prefecture.

Presiding Judge Shinji Sugiyama said Kazuyuki Wakabayashi, a house painter
from the town of Gonohe, Aomori Prefecture, deserved capital punishment as
he "brutally killed 2 people who were not at all at fault."

Wakabayashi had pleaded guilty. His defense had argued for a life
sentence, saying the murders were not premeditated: He had killed them
because the victims saw his face.

He was convicted of breaking into the home of Noriko Ueno, a 52-year-old
office worker, last July 19, killing her and her 24-year-old daughter
Yuki, stealing about 20,000 yen in cash and about 80 items worth 45,000
yen, and abandoning their bodies in the mountains nearby.

(source: Japan Times)