April 4

USA:

Majority Of Americans Regard Death Penalty As Just Punishment

Nationwide support for the death penalty has waned since 2003, though most
Americans still regard it as a just punishment.

The results of a Harris Interactive poll published in March indicate a
majority of Americans think the death penalty poses no deterrent to crime,
and innocent people have sometimes been convicted of murder. However, the
poll shows most do not favor a decrease in the number of executions.

Michael Miller, minister for United Campus Ministry-Wesley, said he
opposes capital punishment on moral grounds. Miller, history lecturer,
said people should be against the death penalty because an innocent person
could be put to death and it is used disproportionately against poor and
uneducated individuals.

"I think it's appropriate to punish people; I think it's even more than
appropriate to rehabilitate people," Miller said. "Clearly there are
people who are so antisocial, so broken, so dangerous, they have to be
kept from the mainstream of society. But I don't see anything in the
teachings of Jesus that justifies the death penalty."

Texas led the nation in executions with 26 last year, twice as many as all
other states combined. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, 405
people have been put to death in Texas since 1976. Virginia comes in
second with 98 executions.

Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information
Center, said capital punishment is more costly to taxpayers than other
sentencing options. Dieter did not take a stand for or against the death
penalty, but said if the people want it they ought to implement it justly.

"To do it right you need higher paid lawyers, better qualified lawyers,
full appeals, experts allowed, DNA testing, psychiatric experts, mental
retardation experts, et cetera - it is expensive," Dieter said.

He said attempts at low cost implementations of the death penalty fail
because such cases are likely to be overturned on constitutional grounds
and result in new trials.

According to a Death Penalty Information Center fact sheet, an average of
5 people were released from death row each year from 2000 to 2007 because
of evidence of their innocence. The fact sheet cites studies indicating
the odds of receiving a death sentence in North Carolina can rise by 3 1/2
times among offenders whose victims are white.

A California study found people convicted for killing whites are about 3
times more likely to receive a death sentence than those who murdered
blacks. Those convicted for murdering Latinos are 4 times less likely to
receive the death penalty than if he or she murdered a white person.

According to the fact sheet, 41 % of Texas death row inmates in 2006 were
black. Black people comprise 12 % of the state's population.

"That's the problem with the death penalty. It tends to value lives
differently based on a whole bunch of factors that have nothing to do with
the crime," Dieter said. "All dead people are not equal in the eyes of the
death penalty."

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Web site, Harris
County leads all other counties with 120 death row inmates and Dallas
County comes in 2nd with 46.

District Attorney Sherri Tibbe said there are no death row inmates in Hays
County, but she has one pending capital murder case. Tibbe said she has
not called for the death penalty during her tenure. She declined to
comment directly about whether or not her office would seek the death
penalty in any case.

"It's the law in the state of Texas - the death penalty is an option,"
Tibbe said. "It's always something you would consider as a prosecutor ...
You do have the discretion, but you always consider the full range of
punishments - the death penalty or life without parole when yo're looking
at a capital murder case. You make the decision on a case-by-case basis."

Dieter said because death penalty cases are expensive to pursue, district
attorneys in counties with small budgets do not tend to ask for the
punishment. He said the death penalty has more to do with politics than
criminal justice. Dieter said some district attorneys, as elected
officials, pursue the death penalty because it may help their political
careers and make them appear tough on crime.

"The criminal justice system tends to say, 'you commit a certain crime,
you get a certain punishment, and that's what we think is the proper
punishment for a lot of reasons,'" Dieter said. "The death penalty doesn't
work like that. It's very selective and symbolic. It's not punishment for
murder. It's not even for the worst murders. The worst murderers typically
don't even get the death penalty because they usually have good lawyers.
So you have to wonder what purpose it is serving, and I think the
political purpose is one of the chief ones."

Miller said he presided over the funeral of a woman who was murdered.
Miller said he found it difficult to believe the victim's family would be
able to soon forgive her murderer. He said restorative justice, the idea
perpetrators can be reformed by contact with their victims or the victims
of similar offenders, is not likely to be used on a large scale any time
soon.

"I'm always amazed at the grace and the powerful faith of people who have
had a loved one taken from them, yet who have had the spiritual maturity
to forgive," Miller said. "For many people the loss of a loved one is so
grievous and horrible and traumatic, it's hard to imagine people with that
kind of soul. But they do exist. I've met some."

(source: The University Star)

OHIO:

Death penalty no joke to judge

Darth Vader won't be making an appearance next week when county Common
Pleas Judge James Burge holds hearings on the constitutionality of the
state's lethal injection process.

Burge angrily rebuffed defense attorney Jeff Gamso's suggestion that the 3
members of the states execution team who administer the lethal drugs to
condemned inmates hide their identities behind the three masks of the
"Star Wars" villain he brought to court Thursday.

"There's nothing funny here," Burge said. "We've got 2 guys here who are
counting on you to be serious, grown men."

Gamso, the legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio,
had asked Burge to allow the 3 medically trained execution team members to
testify during the hearings. The state has worked hard to keep the
identities of all the team members a secret even after Burge ordered the
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction to turn over details of
how the execution process is carried out.

Burge said he would allow the three team members to testify out of the
courtroom if it was needed, but he said next weeks hearing would focus on
the testimony of two experts who have reviewed the information turned over
by the prison system.

Gamso later apologized for the comment about the masks, but Assistant Ohio
Attorney General Steve Maher, didnt accept it.

"The presentation by Mr. Gamso of 3 Darth Vader masks belies his
comments," Maher said.

Gamso's request came after Assistant County Prosecutor Tony Cillo had laid
out concerns that Burge, a former defense attorney, may already have
formed an opinion on the death penalty.

Cillo quoted from numerous newspaper articles detailing Burge's visits and
conversations with his former client, James Filiaggi, who was executed
last year for the 1994 murder of his wife.

Burge said he had visited Filiaggi and urged him to join a federal lawsuit
challenging the constitutionality of the lethal injection process, but he
said he did so at the request of Filiaggis mother.

"I told him I thought he owed it to his mother to join the lawsuit," Burge
said.

Burge also explained why he keeps a picture of Filiaggi in his office at
the county Justice Center.

"Every time I look at the picture, it reminds me of the things I could
have done that could have been outcome determinant and maybe made a
difference," Burge said.

Cillo also had questioned the discussions Burge and Gamso, who represented
Filiaggi in some of his appeals, had while the 2 were in Lucasville for
the execution last year.

Burge said he told Gamso to talk to attorneys for accused killers Ruben
Rivera and Ronald McCloud, who are challenging the lethal injection
process on the grounds that the 3-drug cocktail used by Ohio and other
states doesnt offer a quick and painless death.

"I have never expressed my view on the constitutionality of the lethal
injection process to Mr. Gamso or anyone else for that matter," Burge
said.

Kreig Brusnahan, one of Rivera's attorneys, called Cillo's concerns a
"thinly veiled effort to get the judge to recuse himself."

But Burge said he didn't take it that way. The judge said Cillo made it
clear he wanted to make sure Rivera and McCloud were aware of Burge's
history if it came up in a later appeal.

(source: The Chronicle-Telegram)

UTAH:

Utah high court hears death-row appeal

In an appeal by death-row inmate Troy Michael Kell, his attorney argued
Wednesday to the Utah Supreme Court that the convicted killer did not
receive effective assistance from his previous lawyers in appeals.

Aric Cramer acknowledged that Kell was captured on videotape stabbing to
death a fellow prisoner at the Central Utah Correctional Facility in
Gunnison but said there still are valid issues in the case.

"It's not so much what happened, but why it happened," Cramer said, adding
that Kell claims the situation amounted to "kill or be killed."

Thomas Brunker, an assistant state attorney general, disputed that Kell
received ineffective assistance during post-conviction proceedings.

Brunker also said the overwhelming evidence against Kell - including the
tape that showed him stabbing victim Lonnie Blackmon 67 times on July 6,
1994 - demonstrated that nothing his lawyers could have done would have
saved the killer from a conviction and death sentence.

The justices took the case under consideration and will issue a ruling
later.

The 32-year-old Blackmon, who was serving a sentence for robbery and
theft, had been transferred to the Gunnison facility from Arkansas as part
of a prisoner-exchange program.

Kell, then 26, was serving two life terms for kidnapping and killing a man
outside Las Vegas.

Prosecutors argued that Kell was a racist who killed Blackmon because he
was black. Kell alleged that Blackmon had threatened his life and insisted
he had acted in self-defense.

Other inmates were prosecuted for holding Blackmon down during the
stabbing.

The state of Utah, while denying wrongdoing, paid $175,000 to Blackmon's
family to settle a lawsuit.

(source: Salt Lake Tribune)

*****************

Judge allows attorney to withdraw from death penalty case

A judge ruled that attorney Mark Moffat can withdraw as counsel for a
death-row inmate who is appealing his sentence, but Moffat's co-counsel,
an attorney in Boise, will have to stay on the case.

Fourth District Judge Lynn Davis issued his ruling on Tuesday, writing in
his decision that Moffat's insistence that he was not qualified to
represent Douglas Stewart Carter may have negatively affected the
attorney-client relationship. But Davis rejected the arguments of attorney
Leo Griffard, Moffat's co-counsel, who Moffat said was qualified to handle
the case but was unable to devote much time to it due to the demands of
his practice in Idaho.

"The court has not found ineffective assistance of counsel, nor has it
found Mr. Moffat to be incompetent. It has simply found the statements of
Mr. Moffat to be so global and outrageously candid that they potentially
affect the attorney-client relationship," Davis wrote in his ruling. "This
court is not persuaded by the arguments of Mr. Griffard."

Moffat argued in October that his lack of qualifications to handle a
post-conviction appeal in a death-penalty case could have grievous
consequences for Carter. He said he only took the case because his
co-counsel, Griffard, was qualified, but Griffard was unable to fully
participate in Carter's appeal.

"While I did my best, there is no question that I completely made a mess
of this case because of my lack of experience and training, and Mr. Carter
has not had the benefit of qualified counsel on this case," Moffat said in
October.

A status conference will be scheduled so that Davis and the attorneys can
determine the next step in the case. Assistant Attorney General Thomas
Brunker, who is representing the state, said Davis must still rule on a
motion in which Carter asked to be able to file more briefings in the
appeal of his death sentence. Once that is settled, the court will likely
hear arguments on the state's motion to dismiss the appeal.

"I think the ruling is sound," Brunker said. "It would've been better from
a practical standpoint if both attorneys had been left on the case, but by
leaving the clearly qualified attorney on the case, it means, I think,
that the case will move forward more quickly than if he had allowed both
of them to withdraw."

Brunker said Griffard will have 60 days to find local co-counsel. That
co-counsel is not required to be trained in criminal law or
post-conviction relief.

Griffard declined to comment on the ruling.

Moffat was ambivalent about the ruling, saying he didn't know exactly how
to feel about it.

"It's not like I view it as any kind of huge victory or anything like
that. Judge Davis strived to make a good ruling for Mr. Carter. I think he
understands that Mr. Carter needs to have a lawyer who's qualified in this
area of the law to represent his interests," Moffat said.

Brunker said that keeping Moffat as Carter's attorney could have prolonged
the case if another judge ruled later that Moffat should have been allowed
to withdraw.

"We're pushing this as quickly as we can. I think that Judge Davis is
clearly sensitive to the timing issue and has been ruling accordingly,"
Brunker said. "He's recognized that messing up this motion to withdraw
could have actually prolonged the case, and I think his ruling was
designed to curtail that as much as he could."

Moffat said he would have liked to have seen Davis address the issue of
financial compensation, the other reason he cited for wanting to withdraw
from the case. Moffat's firm received about $10,000 in compensation for
representing Carter. But his firm spent more than 500 hours on the case,
which Moffat said would cost about $82,000 under normal rates.

"I guess that issue is left for another day," Moffat said.

In another ruling on Tuesday, Davis rejected a motion filed by Carter and
Moffat to include in the court record a 350-page brief filed by the Utah
Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in a different death-penalty case.
The briefing focused heavily on what the association said was inadequate
compensation for attorneys who are forced to represent death-row inmates
on appeal.

Carter was sentenced to die for the 1985 murder of Eva Olesen during a
robbery in Provo. Olesen was the aunt of a former Provo police chief.

(source: Daily Herald)

CALIFORNIA:

California prisons locked down after officer stabbings----4 officers
injured after altercation involving inmates at California prison

2 inmates involved in the attack were gang members, authorities say

All California prisons placed on lockdown as precaution

All of the state's prisons were locked down as a precaution Thursday after
2 inmates attacked four officers at the California Correctional
Institution, a corrections official said.

2 sergeants and an officer were treated for lacerations, stab and puncture
wounds, said Terry Thornton, a spokeswoman for the Department of
Corrections and Rehabilitation. The 3 men were in stable condition at
hospitals. A 4th officer, a woman, suffered unknown injuries and was also
taken to a hospital.

The two inmates involved in the attack are members of the Surenos, a
Southern California gang, the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site
Thursday, citing corrections officials.

State prisons were to remain locked down until corrections staff could
determine whether the stabbing was an isolated incident, Thornton said.

The attackers rushed the guards in an office on the maximum security
general population yard shortly after 1 p.m., she said. Guards used pepper
spray, batons and physical force to stop the attack, corrections officers
said.

The 2 inmates were treated for injuries they sustained from the force
guards used to stop the attack and were taken to area hospitals for
treatment.

One of the attackers was serving a 117-year sentence for attempted murder
and assault with deadly weapon. The other was serving a 25-year sentence
for 1st-degree murder.

The Investigative Services Unit at the prison and agents from Department
of Corrections headquarters will investigate the incident, Thornton said.
2 homemade weapons were found at the scene.

The prison was built in 1933 to hold about 2,800 female inmates, but
currently houses 4,705 male inmates, according to the Department of
Corrections. It employs 2,001 personnel.

The prison, 40 miles southeast of Bakersfield in Kern County, was the
scene of a race riot in February 2005 involving 480 black and Hispanic
inmates that left 3 inmates injured.

The last California prison guard to die in the line of duty was stabbed in
January 2005 at the California Institution for Men in Chino. It was the
1st death of a Department of Corrections guard on duty since 1985.

Calls seeking comment from a spokesman at the prison were not returned
Thursday afternoon.

(source: Associated Press)

NORTH CAROLINA:

The wrong man----Glen Chapman is free, but his case points to the
dangerous imperfections in North Carolina's use of the death penalty

Were it not for a couple of good appellate lawyers and Superior Court
Judge Robert C. Ervin, Glen Chapman might have been killed by the state in
Central Prison's death chamber. He had been on death row for nearly 14
years, following a conviction for the 1992 murders of two women in
Hickory. After years of appeals, Judge Ervin ruled in November that
Chapman deserved another trial. The Catawba County District Attorney,
James Gaither Jr., then dismissed the murder charges against him, saying
there was not enough evidence for a retrial.

So on Wednesday, the 40-year-old Chapman was released -- from death row to
freedom.

Ervin, who held six hearings over five years, found that an investigator
in the case, Dennis Rhoney, lied in his testimony about Chapman's
involvement in the murders.

The judge found that Rhoney had withheld evidence from prosecutors that
would have bolstered Chapman's claim of innocence. He also found that
Chapman's trial lawyers overlooked evidence in the deaths of Betty Jean
Ramseur and Tenene Yvette Conley and didn't investigate thoroughly. (The
appeals lawyers argued that Chapman's trial attorneys were "excessive
users of alcohol.")

Human error

And Judge Ervin also said that a forensic pathologist's report suggested
Conley might have died of a drug overdose instead of having been murdered.

This case is a tragedy on many levels. But one of Chapman's appellate
attorneys, Jessica Leaven, had it right on the bottom line when she said,
"Everything that you can possibly imagine going wrong in a capital case
went wrong. It's a prime example why the death penalty should be
abolished."

The justice system is run by imperfect humans, no different than all other
humans. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they do things wrong.
Sometimes they do wrong things. Some attorneys are more competent than
others. Some district attorneys are tempted to put winning ahead of their
duty as officers of the court to seek justice, first and foremost.

Tough guys

And all the time, politicians sing their "tough on crime" songs and stand
by application of the one penalty in the system that cannot be reversed,
or corrected in any way. Executions in North Carolina currently are on
hold pending court action on whether the lethal injection used here and in
other states is unconstitutional because it can amount to "cruel and
unusual punishment."

Mistakes have been made in North Carolina. Prosecutors have been found to
have not handled cases in a straight-up fashion. Add to all this the
unreliability of some witnesses, and you have, particularly in death
penalty cases, a tragic accident waiting to happen.

So is the state willing to say, in effect, well, if we kill the wrong
person on occasion, we still should stick with the death penalty? If it
is, that's disgraceful.

And let it not be forgotten, not that it equals the argument that a
wrongful execution is unacceptable, but vast sums are spent on prosecuting
death cases and through the appeals process. (One wonders if those who'd
like to shorten the distance between conviction and execution are given
any pause by the Chapman case.)

The system is imperfect. As long as that's so, the death penalty cannot be
administered in any way that can be described as fair.

(source: Editorial, News Observer)

VIRGINIA:

Victim's father criticizes Kaine's stay of execution

The father of a Winchester policeman killed while chasing a suspect is
criticizing Gov. Tim Kaine for delaying the killer's execution.

Kaine this week stayed Edward Nathaniel Bell's execution scheduled for
April 8 until July 24. He also temporarily suspended all executions in
Virginia until the U.S. Supreme Court rules on a case that claims lethal
injection is unconstitutional.

Richard Timbrook's son Richard was 32 when he was killed. His father says
he left a message at the governor's office to tell Kaine he had the right
to oppose the death penalty but "he didn't have the right to push his
views on me.''

Kaine said during his 2005 campaign for governor that he personally
opposes the death penalty, but is committed to upholding Virginia's law

. Gordon Hickey, a spokesman for Kaine, says the governor has no further
comment on the stay.

(source: Associated Press)

NEW MEXICO:

Death penalty off the table in guard's death

2 men charged with murdering a prison guard during an inmate disturbance
in 1999 wont face the death penalty if convicted, according to a published
report.

The Albuquerque Journal (subscription) reports in Friday's edition that
State District Judge Neil Candelaria has signed an order dismissing the
death penalty against Reis Lopez and Robert Young.

Reis and Young are charged in the death of Ralph Garcia, who was killed in
a disturbance at the Guadalup County Correctional facility in 1999.

The Journal reports that Candelarias order reflects a unanimous decision
of the state Supreme Court that state funding for public defenders in
death penalty cases is inadequate.

The high court made that ruling in October. In January, the legislature
did not increase funding for state funded death-penalty defenses.

(source: KOB News)