Sept. 24

USA:

Troy Davis execution protest confronts support for death penalty----While the Troy Davis execution may not be a game-changer for the death penalty, it has become part of a growing conversation about ensuring that innocent people aren't killed or die in prison.

The execution Wednesday of Troy Davis, a Georgia death row inmate who convinced thousands across the world of his innocence, capped a sobering week of death penalty debate likely to play into shifting attitudes in the US over the ultimate sanction.

The execution, also on Wednesday, in Texas of Lawrence Brewer, convicted of dragging a black man to death in 1998, led to the elimination of the execution day "last meal" in Texas after Mr. Brewer ordered an elegant feast that he declined to eat.

Also this week, the US Supreme Court stayed the executions of two other Texas men in order to further review their innocence claims, while Alabama went forward with the 36th execution of the year in the US on Thursday, leading to the death of Derrick Mason for a 1994 murder.

And lingering anger over the execution of Mr. Davis led filmmaker Michael Moore to urge a boycott of Georgia, which he called "a murderous state."

Taken together, these events aren't likely by themselves to spark reforms of the US death penalty system, which relies largely on states to mete out justice. Even as Davis supporters vow to keep up the fight to abolish the sanction, the loose coalition of human rights groups struggled to come up with a plan for where to focus their appeals next.

"His case could set in motion a chain reaction that galvanizes the innocence movement and put even more pressure on the justice system to get serious about reform," writes Dax Devlon-Ross, the author of a novel, "Make Me Believe," about the execution of an innocent man. "Or it could just be another moment."

But while the Davis execution may not be a game-changer for the death penalty, it did become part of a growing conversation — more across kitchen tables than legislative chambers — about the courts' ability to ensure that innocent people aren't killed or die in prison.

Troy Davis, whose case sparked a rare Supreme Court ruling for a new evidentiary hearing, built a phalanx of support on the fact that 7 of 9 eyewitnesses recanted or changed their testimony, which helped turn public opinion, including those of world leaders like Pope Benedict and President Jimmy Carter, in his favor. The European Union issued a statement against the execution of Davis, saying "serious and compelling doubts have persistently surrounded the evidence on which Mr. Davis was convicted."

But it's likely that not just the prosecutor and the victim's family were the only ones convinced of Davis' guilt in killing off-duty Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail outside a Burger King in 1989. Court after appeals court upheld the conviction. Last week, the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles failed for a 4th time to be convinced by arguments of faulty ballistics testing and the alleged confession of another man to the crime.

Davis was convicted in 1991 after witnesses — including strangers — testified they saw him shoot MacPhail as the officer came to the rescue of a homeless man that two men, including Davis, were pistol-whipping after he refused to give them a beer. Davis was also convicted of shooting another man earlier in the evening, with a gun that ballistics testing tied to the MacPhail murder scene. No conclusive physical evidence tied Davis to the crime, and he maintained his innocence until the end, telling MacPhail's family before the execution that he did not "personally kill" the officer, adding, "I did not have a gun."

While the bar for convincing courts of post-conviction innocence is high, Federal District Court Judge William T. Moore last year found the changed testimony unreliable and unconvincing. Defense attorneys, moreover, were loathe to put 2 eyewitnesses who substantively recanted their testimony on the stand at that hearing because of concerns about cross-examination.

Critics say the global outpouring of support for Troy Davis was disingenious, an example of death penalty opponents picking sympathetic cases to tout while ignoring other claims of innocence, such as those expressed by Mr. Brewer, who was also executed Wednesday, in Texas, for the killing of James Byrd in a race-motivated dragging.

While protesters helped shape the coverage of the execution, they ultimately came up against the determination of the court system as a brief delay in the execution as the US Supreme Court considered an appeal gave way to a lethal injection after the court, after several hours' consideration, dismissed the plea.

"There was this invisible support for the execution that didn't need to be shaped or guided, and I think Troy Davis supporters were blindsided by that invisible support," Michael Leo Owens, a political science professor at Emory University, in Atlanta, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "It is the dominant perspective."

To be sure, support for the death penalty remains at about 60 % in the US, though that number dwindles to a minority, according to many polls, when respondents are asked to pick between the death penalty and life in prison without parole.

In Florida, the 4th most active death penalty state, jury-ordered death sentences have declined from a high of 40 a year in the late 1980s to 14 in 2010. Meanwhile, North Carolina currently has a death penalty moratorium and Illinois, on July 1, closed its death row. California voters will have a referendum on abolishing the death penalty next year.

"Death penalty attitudes don't change suddenly," says Michael Radelet, a sociology professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder, who studies the death penalty. "What's more important is monitoring how arguments or discussions about the death penalty change, and what Troy Davis has done is make people, whether pro or con, acknowledge that people are executed despite doubts about guilt."

(source: Christian Science Monitor)

*******************

We Can't Fight Troy Davis With Casey Anthony

In the brutal arbitrariness that is any system conducted by humans rather than computers, Troy Anthony Davis was executed in Georgia last night while Casey Anthony is free.

Many, especially on Twitter, have noted the racial element of the disparate outcomes. Said one person: “Remember when people said if Casey Anthony was black…well, there we have it. Round of applause for living in a racist, ignorant world.”

Another person: “At least Casey Anthony is still alive, safe and warm and probably still white and cute.” And another: “If the death penalty has taught us anything today, it’s that Casey Anthony should’ve been black.”

Davis was executed with, reportedly, no physical evidence tying him to the fatal shooting of a police officer.

Yet it is the lack of physical evidence that resulted in acquittals for two other high profile cases: that of Casey Anthony, accused of murdering her two-year-old daughter, Caylee; and that of two white New York City police officers accused of raping a woman they had escorted home after she had too much to drink.

Meanwhile, there was reportedly plenty of physical evidence tying to Dominique Strauss-Kahn to the sexual assault of a Guinean hotel housekeeper, but prosecutors dropped charges after they discovered the maid has “inconsistent stories” and had lied on her asylum application. Strauss-Kahn has admitted only to a sexual encounter and a “moral failing.”

Of course, there have been other high profile acquittals despite what seems overwhelming physical evidence: That of the police officers in both the Amadou Diallo and Rodney King cases. Let us not forget there’s even been an aquittal of a black man, O.J. Simpson, when there was plenty of physical evidence. But I’d be hard pressed to think of another black man going free under similar circumstances. (If you know of one, comment below.)

The Innocence Project, which seeks to exonerate people in prison with DNA testing, has so far freed 273 people from prison, 13 of them on death row. 70 % of those exonerated were minorities.

All of this just underscores that the death penalty is a very final, very definitive, and very inhumane way of meting out justice for cases that usually have a built-in amount of gray area. Jurors and judges often have to make decisions with something less than irrefutable, in-your-face, no-way-of-ever-denying-it solid evidence. That doesn’t mean that everyone should get off scot-free with anything less than a video tape of the crime in progress—though even that doesn’t always make for a guilty verdict. Evidence is often in the eye of the beholder.

That isn’t to say that sometimes there isn’t irrefutable evidence: body parts in the refrigerator or buried under floor boards, for instance. In cases like that, should the death penalty be applied? I don’t think anyone would weep for someone who has that kind of physical evidence against him (or her). But even those raise rounds of questions, including, is the person insane or the mentally incompetent pawn of someone much smarter? Could the evidence have been planted? Was it self defense? Unfortunately, one can raise questions for just about anything.

But if the death penalty is undesirable and uncertain enough for Troy Davis, then it is for Casey Anthony too. Some on Twitter seem to acknowledge this, as this in this Tweet by Joseph Menter: “People keep bringing up Casey Anthony… So y’all want her to be executed too? Fight murder with murder? Naw, I’ll pass.”

I’ll pass too.

(source: Kiri Blakeley, Forbes)

*************

Murder Is Good Politics, Bad Justice

I don't know if Troy Davis, who was executed Wednesday by the state of Georgia, was innocent. But I do know that the evidence demanding a re-examination of his conviction, including the recanted testimony of most of the witnesses against him, was overwhelming.

Of course, that's now beside the point, which is exactly what is so wrong about the use of the death penalty. No matter what evidence of innocence might be produced in the future, it is of consequence no longer.

That's one compelling argument against the death penalty — no room for correction — but there are others. The most egregious argument for capital punishment is the claim that the finality of officially condoned killing is a necessary guarantor of civilized order. It's egregious because it is not possible to make that case without explaining why most of the democratic societies that we admire shun the death penalty as contrary to their most deeply held values.

Or is it China, Iran, North Korea and Yemen — which, along with the United States, lead the world in government executions — that we most admire? There's something stunningly disgraceful about the company we keep on this issue.

Amnesty International is the world's premier human rights organization, and it deserves high marks for its anti-death penalty campaign. Amnesty points out that more than two-thirds of the world's nations have abolished the death penalty in law or practice. I defy anyone to compare the list of countries that have retained the death penalty with those that have abolished it and then conclude that it serves a needed purpose.

It's obvious from the experience of those nations without the death penalty and our own 17 states that have banned capital punishment that this barbaric custom is not a necessary, let alone efficient, means for ensuring public safety. Due process in the United States, which claims to have an enlightened legal system, requires death penalty procedures that are costlier than appropriate incarceration.

Governments that cling to this primitive ritual of state-sanctioned murder do so not to induce respect for law but rather to indulge a lust for vengeance.

Toward that end, it would be far more honest to have the bound prisoner stoned to death by the governors, state legislators, prosecutors and judges who support the death penalty rather than to employ lethal injections by disengaged technicians. Forcing them to be the executioners in actual practice rather than as a matter of legal theory would compel a far greater sense of personal responsibility than politicians and some others tend to exhibit on the matter.

From my own experience as a journalist covering this issue, the vast majority
of politicians who defend capital punishment do so out of rank opportunism, which they demonstrate — particularly when the conversation is off the record — by citing polling numbers rather than evidence of the death penalty as a capital crime deterrent.

As I waited for the news of Troy Davis' fate, my thoughts kept returning to that day in 1960 when we Berkeley students picketed the California governor's office, pleading for a stay in the execution of convicted rapist Caryl Chessman, who was never accused of murder. It didn't come because Gov. Pat Brown, despite his deep reservations about the case, had succumbed to public opinion. I never imagined then that more than half a century later, the death penalty would still be enforced. That it is mocks our claim to be a moral leader in this world.

It is appropriate that we grieve for the slain police officer, Mark MacPhail, but if Davis was not the one with the gun, as he claimed to the end, the true murderer will have gone unpunished, as suggested by Davis' haunting plea to the MacPhail family minutes before he died: "I did not personally kill your son, father, brother. All I can ask is that you look deeper into this case so you really can finally see the truth."

Execution is a means of summarily ending the pursuit of justice rather than advancing it.

This case was so freighted with contradictions that a stay of execution was clearly in order. As Amnesty International spokeswoman Laura Moye said, "Today Georgia didn't just kill Troy Davis. They killed the faith and confidence that many Georgians, Americans and Troy Davis supporters worldwide used to have in our criminal justice system."

(source: Robert Scheer is editor of TruthDig.com, where this column originally appeared)

*****************

Scalia Ruled That the Constitution Doesn't Prohibit Executing an Innocent Man in Troy Davis Case

Beyond the emotional punch in the gut of Troy Davis' execution - and the echoing cheers of a GOP debate audience for Rick Perry killing so many people - it is worth remembering the role of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in the Davis affair.

Because it was during an appeal to the Supreme Court in 2009 on behalf of Davis that Scalia - and BuzzFlash is not making this up - actually wrote a dissenting opinion that there was nothing in the Constitution that prevented a state from executing an innocent man (or woman).

How does BuzzFlash at Truthout know this?

Because we did a commentary back then on Scalia's jaw-dropping constitutional assertion when the decision was rendered. (The Supreme Court ordered a Georgia court to allow Davis to present new evidence.)

In that 2009 commentary, we quoted from Scalia's dissent:

This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is "actually" innocent. Quite to the contrary, we have repeatedly left that question unresolved, while expressing considerable doubt that any claim based on alleged "actual innocence" is constitutionally cognizable.

If the Constitution doesn't protect us from being executed even if we are innocent, then, Houston, we have a fundamental problem of human rights in America.

Scalia is considered by some to be a "brilliant legal mind," but there is nothing brilliant about authorizing the murder of innocent people.

(source: buzzflash.com)

********************

Troy Davis -- Time to End the Death Penalty

Troy Davis' execution must be the beginning of a new resurgence in this country to end the death penalty. The fight must continue forward and that's what will honor the legacy of Troy Davis. As Troy said, it was not just about him but for all the other Troy Davis that came before him and will unfortunately come after him.

Davis had an unprecedented amount of support that included almost 1 million signatures calling for his clemency including former President Jimmy Carter, Desmond Tutu, former FBI director William Sessions and Pope Benedict XVI. Since his conviction in 1991 of killing officer McPhail in 1989, 7 of the 9 witnesses have come forward to recant their testimony with allegations that one of the witnesses was the actual killer. But, this was not enough to convince the Georgia court system, the Georgia Board of Parole and Pardons, Larry Chisolm, Chatham County's first African American district attorney or the Supreme Court of his innocence or to spare his life. Troy maintained his innocence up to the time of his execution, even requesting to give a lie detector test which was denied.

The death penalty does not serve the interest of justice, the victim's families or our society. Nationally, 130 innocent persons have been condemned to die since the early 1970's. Some have been exonerated by DNA evidence. In Troy's case, there was no DNA, only tainted witness testimony. Sending one innocent person to their death is too many. In Maryland, a Commission on Capital Punishment found that for almost every 9 persons sent to death row, one innocent person has been exonerated.

Families of the victims wait often decades for their perceived "justice". Annaliese McPhail, mother of the slain officer says she wanted her family to "have some peace and start our lives." Unlike McPhail's mother, another victim's mother is advocating for repeal of the death penalty. Vicki Schieber, the Maryland mother of a daughter who was brutally raped and killed in 1998, has testified before the U.S. Senate and several states, including New Jersey which abolished the death penalty in 2007. She says she never wanted the death sentence for her daughter's killer even though she was pressured by the prosecutor to endorse it. She says it has brought her and her husband peace.

New Jersey became the 1st state in over 40 years to abolish its death penalty in 2007. But recent hard fought efforts to end in other states have failed. The momentum is growing and now is the time to keep it going. The Supreme Court has moved towards limiting the death penalty forbidding the death penalty for juveniles and mentally retarded and banning for crimes that did not involve killings.

The death penalty has not been a deterrent to crime, is expensive, racially biased and unfair. Taxpayers spend millions on a failed system. One Maryland commission found that pursuing a death penalty case is three times more expensive to taxpayers than pursuing a non-capital punishment case. In death sentences, almost half of those receiving the death penalty are black. The prison population is over 40 % black men while black men make up only 6 % of the population. Life without parole should replace the death penalty as the most severe punishment in America.

For the efforts led by NAACP, Ben Jealous, Amnesty International, Davis' attorneys, Democracy Now.org and a host of others, now is not the time to stop. To the family of Officer McPhail, may you find peace one day. And to the family of Troy Davis, you have lost a son, brother, uncle and friend but have gained millions of others. We are all Troy Davis.

(source: Debbie Hines.Lawyer, Political/Legal Commentator, www.Legalspeaks.com; Huffington Post)

*************

Death Penalty Retains Support, Even With Pro-Life Catholics, Despite Flaws

Debate over the constitutionality and morality of the death penalty has long been an under-the-radar skirmish that occasionally emerges as part of a larger national conversation.

These past few weeks it has emerged in a big way.

It was first roused at a GOP presidential debate during which the record number of state-sponsored executions overseen by Texas Gov. Rick Perry (234 at the time; 235 as of this writing) was a surprisingly enthusiastic applause line for the candidate.

It was reanimated by this week's state executions of Troy Davis in Georgia, and Lawrence Brewer in Perry's Texas.

Death penalty opponents seized on the execution of Davis, whose conviction of killing a police officer was based on questionable eyewitness accounts, as an event that could turn the tide against state-sponsored executions. Brewer, a white supremacist, was executed for the dragging death of a black man.

History, however, suggests that despite outrage in some quarters over the killing of Davis, public opinion will remain firmly in favor of the death penalty.

Public approval for death penalty over time.

"64 % of Americans support the death penalty in cases of murder," says Frank Newport, editor-in-chief of the Gallup Poll.

That's actually a little higher level of support than when George Gallup began asking Americans about their views of the death penalty back in the mid-1930s. Support is generally higher among Republicans surveyed, and among those who live in the South, he said, where 1,042 of the nation's 1,269 executions since 1976 have occurred. (Texas has overseen the most executions, 475 since 1976. Virginia has killed 109 death-row inmates.)

Over the past decade, Newport says, Gallup's annual crime survey has found that support for state-sponsored execution has remained remarkably stable, despite revelations based on DNA analysis and other evidence that innocent people have been put to death.

"A majority of Americans agree that innocent people have been put to death, and they also say that the death penalty is not a deterrent to murder," Newport says.

The international community has also pressured the U.S. to leave the ranks of countries that execute. The U.S. last year, according to Amnesty International, trailed only China, North Korea, Yemen, and Saudi Arabia in the number of state-sponsored executions.

Still, support has remained consistent.

"People say, we already know these facts, and we still support it," says Newport. "Despite what's happened, we haven't seen a change in attitudes."

Take American Catholics, for example, who make up more than the quarter of the nation's electorate.

The church - from its bishops to the Pope - have long called on Congress, the courts and state legislatures to end the death penalty or, at least, restrain it as part of the denomination's stated commitment to "building a culture of life."

But framing the issue as a moral one has not moved rank-and-file American Catholics.

Their attitudes toward the death penalty are no different than others surveyed by Gallup, Newport says.

Gerald Uelman, Santa Clara University law professor and former dean, has been working on an initiative in California that would end capital punishment in the state and replace it with a program requiring convicted murderers to work in prison to provide restitution to victims' families.

A Catholic who has written extensively about the church and the death penalty, Uelemen says that he's found that his fellow church members are not persuaded by right-and-wrong arguments.

"What they find most persuasive aren't the moral arguments about the death penalty, but the practical arguments - like, what the death penalty is costing us, and what we're gaining from it," says Uelemen, who has been speaking with many Catholic groups about the initiative.

"You can go round and round and round on the morality of it, but the bottom line is it doesn't work, especially in California," he says, which is mired in deep budget problems and has 721 people on death row and about 3,000 serving life sentences without parole.

"This is one state where the dysfunction of the law is becoming the argument that will lead to abolition," Uelemen says.

Internal polling by supporters of the initiative found that the strongest support for the death penalty in California, if broken down by religion, was among Catholics.

"I found that quite disturbing," Uelemen says. "Retribution is the name of the game."

It's clear, he says, that the argument that may ultimately carry the day will be all about the spending and not about the killing.

Note: Among Republican presidential candidates with a position on the death penalty, only Texas Congressman Ron Paul opposes state-sponsored executions. He has said it's unjust because poor defendants are more likely to be convicted and executed, and because mistakes have been made and innocent people put to death.

(source: NPR)

**************

Analysis: High-profile Davis execution raises questions

Controversy at home and abroad over the execution of Troy Davis, who was put to death in the United States late on Wednesday for the 1989 killing of a policeman, has renewed questions about the death penalty.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected his last-minute plea for a stay of execution, and Davis, 42, received a lethal injection at a prison in Georgia.

"The Troy Davis case is going to bring a lot of doubt into people's minds," said Fordham University law professor Deborah Denno, an opponent of the death penalty.

"It gradually erodes the death penalty more and more ... public opinion is changing," she said.

Defense attorneys had argued Davis was innocent, citing new evidence and witnesses who had changed or recanted their testimony, some even saying another man committed the crime. No physical evidence linked Davis to the killing.

All the judges who reviewed the case rejected Davis's claim of innocence, upholding his conviction and death sentence.

Other death-penalty cases have included claims of innocence, like those raised by Davis, and racial claims. A defense attorney said a disproportionate number of inmates in Georgia's prisons and on death row were black men, as was Davis. The victim was white.

A Pew Research Center opinion poll in 2010 found that most Americans -- some 62 percent -- supported the death penalty for convicted murderers but Pew's Michael Dimock said the figure had declined slowly over the last 15 years. The polls show a drop from about 80 percent in the early 1990s.

The United States is the only western nation on an Amnesty International list of the 23 countries that imposed the death penalty last year. The countries were mainly in the Middle East and Africa, and China was believed to have the highest number of executions, followed by Iran and North Korea.

The U.S. Supreme Court, with a conservative majority, generally has supported the death penalty and shows no sign of placing a moratorium on executions any time soon. The court reinstated the death penalty in 1976 after a 4-year moratorium.

DOWNWARD TREND

The number of executions in the United States generally has been trending downward from a high of 98 in 1999. There were 46 executions last year and 35 so far this year, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Richard Dieter of the center, a Washington-based group which opposes capital punishment, said the battle will focus on individual states.

Thirty-four of the 50 states have the death penalty, along with the U.S. government and the U.S. military.

"At some point, the Supreme Court might find that the standards of decency regarding this punishment have shifted, but for now the focus is on state reforms or state abolition," Dieter said.

"Litigators will continue to fight for their individual clients, raising all the possible issues they can. Activists will seize on a few of those cases because they illustrate the broader problems that the death penalty presents," he said.

Nearly 1 million people signed an online petition against the execution. Pope Benedict, Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu and former U.S. President Jimmy Carter were among those to express concern about the fairness of Davis's trial.

Despite attracting international attention, the case generated little comment from U.S. politicians, Republicans and Democrats alike.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, the frontrunner in the race for Republican presidential nomination in 2012, has presided over more executions than any of his peers since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.

He received enthusiastic applause from the audience at a debate of Republican presidential candidates in California this month when he strongly defended his state's record in meting out what he called the "ultimate justice".

Supporters of the death penalty, such as Kent Scheidegger of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation in California, said a federal judge a year ago rejected the claims by Davis as "smoke and mirrors."

"The Davis PR machine managed to whip up a froth of outrage anyway," he said in a blog post. "Large numbers of people have a grossly distorted view of the facts of this case, and that is not good."

(source: Reuters)