Sept. 26

USA (PUERTO RICO)----possible federal death penalty

Puerto Rico jury deliberates death penalty case in highly anticipated verdict

A jury in Puerto Rico was deliberating Wednesday whether a convicted drug dealer should be executed for killing a girlfriend who was an informant for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

It could be a landmark case for the U.S. territory, where the death penalty is constitutionally illegal and where the last execution occurred in 1927 by hanging.

Although the local jury has the last word, the case against Edison Burgos Montes is being tried in a federal court, which allows for the death penalty.

If the jury opts for capital punishment, Burgos would be executed on the U.S. mainland in a state selected by the Bureau of Prisons, said Lymarie Llovet, spokeswoman for Puerto Rico's U.S. Attorney's Office. If the jury rejects the death penalty, Burgos would be sentenced to life imprisonment, she said.

Burgos was found guilty in late August of killing Madelyn Semidey Morales in July 2005.

The jury began deliberating Tuesday morning and requested clarification Wednesday on several aggravating factors presented by prosecutors. In addition, an alternate juror replaced one juror who was dismissed for medical reasons.

As they deliberated, dozens of people held a vigil outside the federal courthouse to protest the case. Among those are members of the United Evangelical Church, which condemned the death penalty.

"Today we are allergic to forgiveness and to the respect for life," the church said in a statement.

The case also has stirred anger among Puerto Ricans who resent U.S. involvement in what they say are local affairs. Julio Muriente, co-president of a political party that favors independence, accused U.S. authorities of ignoring Puerto Rico's constitution.

"The U.S. government unilaterally imposes its will through the federal court," he said.

The victim's mother, Georgina Morales, told El Nuevo Dia newspaper when the trial began in April that she does not believe in capital punishment.

"It's not sufficient punishment for me," said Morales. "I want the justice system to impose the punishment, but I want it to be prison."

Morales and other relatives have since declined to speak to the media, though the victim???s father, Carlos Semidey, gave news outlets a handwritten note this week lamenting that his daughter's body had not been found. "If anyone knows where we can find her remains, please contact the necessary agencies so we can give her a Christian burial," it said.

Madelyn Semidey also left behind 3 young daughters.

Puerto Rico juries previously rejected death sentences for federal cases in 2005 and 2006.

The U.S. Attorney's Office expects that 2 other death penalty cases will go to trial in January, Llovet said.

In an effort to fight crime, Puerto Rico's government has asked federal authorities to assume prosecution of certain cases, including carjackings, drive-by shootings and weapon possessions. The island of nearly 4 million people reported a record 1,117 homicides last year.

Puerto Rico banned the death penalty in 1929, 2 years after farmworker Pascual Ramos was hanged for beheading his boss with a machete. Prior to that, the U.S. military government had executed 23 people, all black and most of them poor or illiterate, after troops seized the island in 1898 during the Spanish-American War.

When Puerto Rico approved its 1st constitution in 1952, it reiterated that capital punishment was illegal and constituted a human rights violation.

But federal prosecutors have continued to seek the death penalty in certain cases.

In 2000, Puerto Rican Judge Salvador Casellas ruled that applying the death penalty would violate Puerto Rico???s constitution as well as the federal statute concerning its status as a self-governing entity. His decision was overturned in 2001 by the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, which ruled that Puerto Rico is subject to federal law. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld that decision.

Puerto Rico joins 17 U.S. states that do not apply the death penalty.

(source: Associated Press)

OHIO:

Ohio woman pleads guilty in gruesome burning death

In a move that would allow her to escape the death penalty, an Ohio woman pleaded guilty Wednesday in the gruesome killing of a woman found covered in burns and wailing in agony on the side of a rural road.

As part of a deal with prosecutors, 20-year-old Katrina Marie Culberson pleaded guilty to 1 count each of aggravated murder, kidnapping and aggravated arson.

Muskingum County Prosecutor Mike Haddox said that his office offered the agreement to Culberson in exchange for her guilty plea and on the condition that she testify against 2 others charged in the killing of 29-year-old Celeste Fronsman, of Akron.

On Aug. 26, a driver found Fronsman on a road northeast of Zanesville in eastern Ohio. She had been raped and burned and had a strap around her neck. She died 2 days later at a Columbus hospital.

Culberson's Columbus attorney, Jerry McHenry, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday. Culberson still faces life in prison when she is sentenced, although a date for her sentencing has not been set.

"She understood all the terms and conditions," Haddox said. "She entered into it knowingly and willingly."

Prosecutors can cancel the agreement if Culberson becomes uncooperative or unwilling to testify against LaFonse Darney Dixon and Monica Jean Washington, Haddox said.

Both Dixon and Washington have pleaded not guilty to aggravated murder, kidnapping and aggravated arson. They face a potential death sentence if convicted.

Haddox has repeatedly declined to discuss what authorities believe is the motive in the killing and whether there was a ringleader, saying it would be unethical for him to do so before trial and could compromise the prosecution.

Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz also has declined to discuss the motive. He did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday.

In a jailhouse interview with the Times Recorder in Zanesville this month, Culberson declined to discuss specifics but said she, Washington and Dixon "all had a part" in the killing.

"I want to be a human being again, not some monster," she said. "I want to ask God for forgiveness for everything I've ever done."

Dixon denied involvement in a separate interview with the newspaper.

Lutz has called Culberson's killing "one of the most gruesome things I've ever seen in 23 1/2 years in law enforcement."

The man who found Fronsman, who didn't want to be named to avoid the media spotlight, told the Times Recorder that Fronsman threw herself toward his vehicle in a scene that looked like "something out of a horror show."

He said that Fronsman was pleading for help and comfort and was burned from head to toe, with all her hair gone.

"I caught her and picked her up in my arms," he told the newspaper. "I told her I was going to lay her in the grass and knew then that God had put me there for her."

Court records show that Fronsman was involved in prostitution and was living a dangerous life before she was killed.

She had been arrested more than 20 times since 2003, mostly for domestic violence, cocaine possession and prostitution.

Fronsman's family has said the young woman was a good person with a good heart who was devastated by the death of her 2-year-old daughter in 2005 and her mother in 2009.